Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Jan 17, 2012, 04:26 PM
    Transfer Pump Strainer
    Transfer pump works okay with 5/8 garden hose. Occasionally a pebble will get suck into the pump and damage the impeller. I tried one time to put the hose strainer between the end of the hose and the pump inflow port. But it wouldn't pump.
    But what if I put the strainer further down the hose. Maybe add a section of hose and the necessary fitting. Do you think it will filter out pebbles?
    Attached Images

mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 17, 2012, 05:01 PM
    That screen is just too restrictive. I would suggest something like this (see image). With something like this, you can see when the filtered area needs cleaning, and it prevents damage to the pump, while not restricting the pump so much. You will need some fittings to make it hook to garden hose, but that should be simple.
    Attached Images

Jan 19, 2012, 06:52 AM
    Thanks that is wonderful information. I wonder what they call that part. It look great.
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 19, 2012, 05:07 PM
    Google "water transfer pump filter" then click on images and there are all kinds of options. Im sure you can find something to meet your needs here. What exactly are you using the pump for?

Jan 20, 2012, 01:10 PM
    A small pond. Send pictures to Grainger Supplies to see if they have a part like that.
    I'v been told they have a similar strainer, but you have to cut the garden hose connections off.
    Because it twist into the hose rather than screw on, and then it is held on by a pipe clamp.
    Sorry I have to chop up my garden hose.
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 20, 2012, 04:10 PM
    Let me know how things work out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a pressure switch to a transfer pump [ 8 Answers ]

Is it possible to a add a pressure switch to a transfer pump that does not have one. I thought that if I hooked the switch up to the electricity source then to the pump from the switch. I would attach the switch directly to the pvc 1 inch pipe going to the house on a T outlet. Any possibility?...

Domestic transfer cold water pump calculation [ 0 Answers ]

Domestic transfer cold water pump calculation

Water transfer pump head calculation [ 2 Answers ]

How to calculate frictional loss &pump head of a centrifugal transfer pump

Generator transfer switch - enough for well pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10hp 5600 generator that I want to connect to a "GenTran 20216 Manual Transfer Switch". It states that this transfer switch has 6 switches (rated 15 amps ea), a handle tie for one 2-pole circuit such as a well pump. My question is this - my well pump is 220 30 amps. Does two switches at...

View more questions Search