Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rram00 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Hobby suggestion for 13 year old son
    I need to find a hobby for my son who is 13yrs and have likes to listen to music and watch TV! Any ideas?
    colbert Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 09:06 PM
    Hey I'm 16 and went I was 13 I started weightlifting for football and I weighed like 150 now I'm 200 and I went from being a lineman to a fullback.(It really made me faster)I started at benching 115 and now I'm 295 Squat was 140 now its 380.Its really helped me in football heck this year(My freshman year I got to start in every game. I think weightlifting is a great hobby.
    rawpotatoeater37 Posts: 244, Reputation: 8

Feb 26, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Unfortunately every 13 year old (girl or boy) likes to watch TV and listen to music :).

What else is he interested in? There's got to be something else other than TV and music.

What kind of personality does he have? Do you think he will be successful in a sport? There are SO many types of sports out there that even if he's not into the most popular options (football, basketball, baseball), there's still lacrosse, swimming, hockey, track/cross country/running, even badminton and ping-pong!

Then there's acting, singing, dancing... Be sure to leave all the options open and let him choose something he might like to try.

You said he likes music? Then why not try to get a few friends together, rent or buy used some guitars and maybe a drum (you don't necessarily need the whole set :D) and try a band. They can start learning some of their favorite songs and maybe even write some of their own. If they practice in your home, though, I would be sure to buy earplugs. They are going to sound horrible at first, but it's only up from there! (hopefully!! )

And even while you may have to give him a little nudge to put down the remote, make sure that you don't push him into something, because that could (and will most likely) end in failure (and he'll hate you).

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember is to support him in ANYthing that he does. At such an impressionable age (even though he may not think so), he could still grow distant and decide that your ideas of a hobby are NOT what he had in mind (if you know what I mean)

Anyway, GOOD LUCK. Remember to be polite and only nudging.
    foster57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Ham radio ! Started when I was 12 (many years ago) and best thing I ever did. All local Amateur Radio Clubs have mentors eager to help introduce a youngster - or contact the ARRL at ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page and they will direct you to your nearest mentor. Obtaining a license no longer requires morse code, just short theory test, but again the local club will teach that part. Both of you can get involved!
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Mar 9, 2007, 10:28 PM
    What kind of shows does he watch? Take a cue from there. The musical instruments was a great idea. I think almost every 13 year old wants to be a rockstar (I did). Try giving him a drawing pad and some pencils, you never know. He like cars? Hook him up with a local show and shine guy. Spend some time and observe what he watches. Try a video camera, maybe he'll be into making TV. Great career path too.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 10:46 PM
    If he likes television then perhaps he would enjoy drama classes, videography or photography? Personally I think photography, especially now with digital photography could be a great hobby. Coin collecting is a fun hobby! I started that when I was 12 or 13 and it remains a love of mine.

At his age, and especially if he is closing himself off with the TV and music you might want to consider activities that involve peers... various sports, cadets, weight training, etc. What are his interests? Does he read? If so, what kind of books? Perhaps he would like to try his hand at a writing course, journalism or even oil painting?

Does he know what he'd like to do when he gets older? Maybe he'd like to take a course in small engines, carpentry or auto repair. There are just so many choices at this age.

Good luck finding something he will enjoy!

Didi
    superboff Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rram00
    i need to find a hobby for my son who is 13yrs and have likes to listen to music and watch tv! any ideas??
    Try him on footy or if not get him a punch bag and get him to do it to music! Trampets in front of TV r quite good as well
    Redbone Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Mar 25, 2007, 04:16 PM
    What is wrong with music? I am fully in love with music. Tv I couldn't care less about. I learned to play music when I was about 13 now I can hear music when ever I choose without the hassle of turnning on a TV Or Radio I play the music myself. This may not be the answer you was looking for but it was the only one that I could come up with. Maybe he would like to learn to play music.
    rawpotatoeater37 Posts: 244, Reputation: 8

Mar 26, 2007, 04:31 AM
    Great suggestion, but I think the problem was that her son wasn't doing anything productive with his time. Hey, there are definitely times to watch TV and listen to music only, but when those are your only activities, it's a little worrysome.
    Geoffersonairplane Posts: 1,195, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2007, 06:42 AM
    When I was 13, I liked fishing (course fishing).. It can be a peaceful past time sat on a riverside on a sunny day and relatively cheap to do.
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

Apr 13, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rram00
    i need to find a hobby for my son who is 13yrs and have likes to listen to music and watch tv! any ideas??

I know that for me, personally, when I was 13, I collected baseball cards and put together model cars. If he likes cars maybe he might like putting together models. I still build model cars and I'm 26. My son took an interest in them when he noticed that I liked doing them (he is 10, not much younger than your son), and now him and I work on them together. It is good bonding time.

If he isn't into cars, maybe he would like to learn (if he already doesn't know how) how to skateboard or rollerblade. Or if he is technically inclined, stores like Radio Shack have electronics project kits that they sell.

Keep me posted on the hobby situation with your son.
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

Apr 13, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Maybe ask your son what he is interested in? Like We could suggest, skateboarding to embroidery, but if he doesn't like it.. Try asking him with open ended questions, like if you had 200$ extra what would you do with it. Im gathering he will say video games which is what your dilemma may actually be?? Just asking..
    Respectfully
    Frank
    fiend101 Posts: 234, Reputation: 56

Nov 7, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Hobby grade rc cars or trucks would be a good out door hobby.
    ghkkkk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2012, 04:02 PM
    Start paintball it is really fun its easy for beginers I have played like 1000000 times
    nfish34 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2012, 12:00 AM
    Try model boat building I started when I was 8 with my dad and now I'm 14
    LoKust12 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2012, 01:57 AM
    I agree I'm 12 years old and I love to build models.
    benjo124 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2012, 11:25 PM
    I'm 14 and I love to learn about computers and how they function in fact when I grow up I want to design a new windows operation system or design different things to improve computers very good fields to go into now a days so I would see if he would like to go to some classes about different computer things :)
    sirthomasrules Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2012, 08:57 AM
    I would recommend that you get the 13 year old in
    Sports
    Music
    Acting/Drama
    I know screens are not the best but maybe there own online Radio, Videos or Online TV of there own making.
    If they are out and about people possibly you could try You could try going to your Local Youth Club and Scouts/Explorers
    Good Luck
    Ben Aidan Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2013, 06:50 PM
    Get him into an extreme sport like skateboarding or bmxing.. Takes up all the time every day. Soon you'd r telling him to get off it haha

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parenting my 22 year old son [ 6 Answers ]

I have been a single parent for most of my son's life. He is now 22 and graduating from college 7 hours from home. Since he was 13, he shut down completely towards me, however, is friendly to all others around him, including his father, who he is still close to. I have gone through years of his...

My 3 year old Son Doesn't Talk [ 8 Answers ]

My son just turned three in January. He is a sweet, lovable, funny, active little boy. All of his developmental milestones have been right on, with the exception of his speech. As I said, he just turned three, and he only has 2 words that are actually "words". His mouth goes non-stop, but it's...

Need help with my 12 year old son [ 11 Answers ]

I am having a hard time with my son he is 12 years old and he is into a lot of trouble all the time. At school he is a bully and pushed the school to the point of sending him to the courts as an unruly kid if there is one more incident! I know he needs help and I want to get him help but I am on...

My 16 year old son seems to have given up [ 19 Answers ]

I am a 41 year old widow who lost her husband 7 months ago... my son is 16.. he is not dealing with it well.. doesnt want to go to school anymore.. wont seek help.. doesnt see his friends anymore.. stays in his room... I don't know what to do.. I have tried everything! Can someone give me some...

My 21 year old son is out of control [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone know the laws in Maryland about having someone committed. My son is drinking a lot and keeps trying to hurt himself and anyone around him. Last night he grabbed the steering wheel of someone who had went to pick him up (they were doing about 70 mph), when that did not work he tried to...

View more questions Search