Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Talmidthree Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2012, 01:07 PM
    I'm a convicted felon and my fiancée can't be around convicted felons?
    I'm a convicted felon(nothing violent or sexual or drug related)However I have met someone who I am emotionally involved with who got into some recent trouble and is now also a convicted felon on probation. One of the conditions is she is not supposed to be around any other convicted felons or it will break her probation. We care very much for one another and have thought about marriage. My felony was almost seven years ago. And I also do ministry work(which is how we met). We are a great support to one another and now we are worried about this.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
    She knows she can't be in the company of another convicted felon. If she is found to be in your company she will violate her probation and go to jail - but you already know this.

How much longer is she on probation? Is she willing to go to jail for you?

She can always go back to Court, request jail time instead of probation and get off probation.

There is occasionally a Motion on this subject where I am (NY) and the terms of probation are reviewed and changed - but that very seldom happens.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 16, 2012, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    ... There is occasionally a Motion on this subject where I am (NY) and the terms of probation are reviewed and changed - but that very seldom happens.
    And of course to make the motion she would have to admit that she has already violated probation; which would be very risky.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2012, 07:58 PM
    Yes, she can not be around you, it only takes one person mad at you or her to call the PO. If you had the relationship prior to probation, and she already ( as she should have listed her relationships) has she discussed her boyfriend.

But I know my son was ordered not to see his girl friend when he went on probation, he was sent back to jail because he keep seeing her.

So if you see her, she can go back to jail, unless the PO gives her written permission to see you.
    FaithRahhal Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 10, 2012, 08:29 PM
    If you get married they can't violate you for association if do get caught together.
    FaithRahhal Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 10, 2012, 08:32 PM
    If you get married they can't violate you for association if you do get caught together.
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2012, 04:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FaithRahhal View Post
    If you get married they can't violate you for association if do get caught together.

This is a legal board - please post your source. Note that are marrying AFTER he has been told he cannot be "around" convicted felons.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2012, 05:10 AM
    Hello Judy:

It would be a technical violation up to the moment when the preacher said, "I now pronounce you man and wife".. I don't think a PO would violate her, and if he did, I don't think a judge would sustain it...

But, who knows? They are pricks, after all.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 11, 2012, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Judy:

It would be a technical violation up to the moment when the preacher said, "I now pronounce you man and wife".. I don't think a PO would violate her, and if he did, I don't think a judge would sustain it...

excon
    It wouldn't be a "technical violation" after they become man and wife?

Sure it would. "Around" is around. Spouse or not. :)

Freedom to marry is withiin one of those penumbra which the justices of SCOTUS think they have discovered. However felons don't have constitutional rights, so it doesn't matter. :)
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2012, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Judy:

excon

Hello Excon -

If your PO says not to consort with felons and you marry one I suspect you'll get violated.

But I've been wrong before.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2012, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Sure it would. "Around" is around. Spouse or not. :)
    Hello lawyer:

Apparently, the marriage laws are stronger than the probation laws.. They CAN'T prevent a husband and wife from LIVING together... Oh, they can SAY it's a violation, and probably will.. But it won't be sustained..

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting a business for felons being a convicted felon? [ 6 Answers ]

Does anybody know what steps to take to start up a community re-entry service that will help people with felony convictions get jobs? The catch is, I too am also a convicted felon. I caught a felony charge charge about 9 years ago.

Convicted felons [ 1 Answers ]

What majow sales companies hire convicted felons?

Convicted felon marrying another convicted felon [ 2 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon marry another convicted felon? One is still in prison the other is no longer under supervised release. Both are federal cases.

View more questions Search