Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CadyKDsweetie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2012, 08:30 PM
    How do I move with my mom when my dad had custody of me?
    I've been living wiith my dad for many years now. And ever since I have, I've wanted to live with my mom.My mom and dad have been divorced since I was about 1. I love my dad and my step mom is OK, but I'm a mommys girl and having a step mom here 24/7 is honestly not good enough. I just can't have a relationship with hr no matter how hard I try. I know that sounds horrible, but my mom and I have the absolute best reltionship a mother and daughter can have. Last summer my mom left me and my sister home for about a week and my dad flipped,and had every right to, but he keeps throwing it in my face like she's such a horrible mother. I'm 15 and we had people checking on us, with us sometimes, and even taking us places so it was NOT a big deal. Then a week later she moved to New York with her parents because she got cancer again and she couldn't take care of herself. She's still on disability but she's going back to college to finish her degree in a month. She is completely OK now.I want to moveout their by this summer. I'm 15 and I have a say in where I want to live, I just don't know how t actually make it happen. I want this more than anything because my mom is my world, and to me no girl can live without her mom especially when their a mommys girl like me. Please help me and tell me what I have to do! Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 13, 2012, 08:44 PM
    Mom has to go to court and petition for custody. Your preference will be listened to, but the decision will be up to a judge.
    CadyKDsweetie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
    How long would this take? I know that you can continue a hearing and I could take a while...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 14, 2012, 06:51 AM
    Depends on the local courts. It could be stretched out for months. But absolutely nothing can be done without a court modifying the custody order.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2012, 06:59 AM
    As Scott has said, you have the ability to have some input if your mother goes in front of a Judge and requests a change in custody.

Was custody changed after the summer incident when you were left alone or have you always lived with your Dad?

And, unfortunately, this part of your post is incorrect - "I'm 15 and I have a say in where I want to live You have an opinion but the Court will decide what is in your best interest. If your mother showed bad judgment that will be taken into account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a mom give up custody to dad? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old son. He has mostly lived with his dad(we aren't married) and paternal grandparents.Can I give him to his dad? I realize I was to young to be a good mom, but his father is very good at it, loves him, and wants to take care of him. H e has a job and his parents help with...

If my dad has custody over me and I want to live with my mom what do they have to do? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay my parents are divorced, and I live with my dad. If I wanted to move in with my mom, what do my parents have to do to change that?

I want to live with my mom but my dad has custody over me [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I have a question regarding my situation. Ok well my parents were never married but they did separate when I was eight and me and my siblings got stuck living with my dad. So anyway me and my siblings want to live with our mom so we told her and she started going to court to try to win us...

Getting custody over my mom not my dad [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am 13 and about to turn 14 in February. I have lived with my dad for the past 6/7 years and I want to switch custody agreements to where I live with my mom. My dad drinks at least 1 beer per week and he is never home until 11:30PM-5:00AM almost every night.I have talked it over with my mom...

Dad wants custody from an unfit mom [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have been given temp custody by cps of his son and his half sister the mother is a deadbeat she was charged with neglect and abandonment she has gone to a mental hospital twice in the past year, the last time for threatening to kill my husband and I, we have hired an attourney...

View more questions Search