Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fadbabs Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2012, 06:14 PM
    This corps towed away my car by driving it.
    I have this unregister car that I just bought at the auction with export license, just trying to fix something in it and the mechanic parked the car in front of their shop in NY ( I mean on the street) this corps driving by and said he's going to tow the car away because its not register and they drove the car away to maybe pound yard, I don't know. My question here is (can a police drive a car that is not register? )... He gave me a number to call the next day which looks like a cell number to me when I called the number. I spoke to the person that answer the phone, they said I have to bring prove that I owns the car, after I already show them the title even though it says international company name on it also show them the invoice and the insurance on the car but the funniest part of it is that they never give me the address where the car was, they said I have to make appointment. They called the insurance to verify the policy, also call the auction where I bought the car to verify and the asked me to fax all the copy of the document to them. Every thing I do with them is over the phone and fax. What can I do to get my car back?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 13, 2012, 06:37 PM
    I wouldn't even hazzard a guess as to what you mean by "corps".
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 13, 2012, 06:39 PM
    I think he means "cops."

Jan 13, 2012, 06:39 PM
    I mean the police man
    Expert

Jan 13, 2012, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fadbabs View Post
    ... What can I do to get my car back?
    You are dealing with a towing company. Such a company, when authorized by the authorities to tow a vehicle, has a possessory lien on the vehicle for the cost of towing and secure storage. You will have to pay them to get the vehicle. The cost mounts day-by-day.

Pay what you have to in order to get the car. Then ask the mechanic to reimburse you for their wrongful parking of the car on the street.

Jan 13, 2012, 06:52 PM
    But they want me to register the car and bring the registration to them as prove but the thing is this car is for export only. And didn't I supposed to know the location of where the car was.

Jan 13, 2012, 06:54 PM
    And right now am dealing with the cops that towed the car. Beacause every time I called them they always refer to him
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 13, 2012, 10:46 PM
    The police do not drive the car off. They call the towing company that has the contract with the city or county and they come get the car. It will be at a impound yard.

You will have to get a release to go get your car. And pay them for the tow and for storage
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2012, 07:02 AM
    The Police Impound Lot will NOT release the car to anyone who shows up and says, "It's my car." You need to show proof that it's your car, pay all of the fees (including fines, penalties, towing, storage). In my area you can tow it from the lot OR get it registered (after paying) and drive it away.

In my area it's not unusual to make an appointment to get into the impound lot. They don't want a rush of people at any one time.

I have to make an appointment to go into the impound lot to take photos.
    Expert

Jan 14, 2012, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fadbabs View Post
    i mean the police man
    If you mean to write "cops", please do so.

The word "corps" means a type of military unit. "Cops", on the other hand, means police officers. But don't worry, you and the POTUS appear to be similarly challenged with respect to this word; you as to the spelling, he as to the pronunciation. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but my mind-reading skills are not perfect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car was towed by police [ 4 Answers ]

I resently bought a car of craigslist,I didn't get the title for 2 weeks after I bought it ,during the 2 weeks I was at a bar with some friends ,someone came in and told me there were cops by my car,so I went out there to see what was going on ,apparently someone told the cops there were drugs in...

My car has been towed for not being registered or insured... but it is [ 2 Answers ]

On March 6, my 1996 Olds was towed from in front of my house. I live in a two-familiy home in Bergen County, NJ and we only have street parking. On February 25th I insured my car with Geico and they asked me to wait 24hrs before registering it. On Feb 26th I registered the car and I have all the...

Car just shuts off while driving [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2001 kia rio... I was driving my car home up my lane and my car just shut off. So I turned the key then restarted it and drove the rest of the way home what could the problem be

Car shuts off while driving [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 99 accord LX, for last two days I have noticed that the car shuts off while driving, and then when I change the gear to parking mode and crank the ignition key again, it starts running, can somebody tell me wats wrong?

Mechanic had car towed wouldn't tell us where it was? [ 7 Answers ]

What can we do... we got a letter from DMV stating the towing company (listed on the letter) had our car. Our son brought it for $400 (mistake #1); # 2 we had it towed to the mechanic we used all the time... we didn't follow up for 2 months and he towed it and wouldn't tell us where it was. We got...

View more questions Search