Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    evilchrispark Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2004, 02:07 AM
    Cant connect
    I can't seem to connect directly to my cable modem. I setup a wireless network and it was working fine but then I started having problems. I then decided to reset and reconfigure my router but when I tried to connect directly to my modem, it either didn't show the connection or it said that I have limited to no conectivity. I then asked around for a while and someone said just uninstall all the network cards and then reinstall the one I want to use. It worked. Almost. I have connection now but certain programs like aim doesn't work and when I try to reconfigure my router it goes back to limited to no connectivity. The only thing that I haven't tried is just formating the hdd and reinstalling my windows but the reason I haven't done that is cause 1. it's a pain in the to move all my files to a separate storage thing, 2. I'm not exactly sure how to do this(I did it once but that was a while ago) 3. my hdd has about 180GB of files that I want to keep and I only have a 160GB hdd to put it on. If anyone knows a better way to fix my problem or has some suggestions that might lead me into the right direction, please let me know
    thetachi464 Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2005, 01:02 PM
    Can't connect
    It sounds like you just need to setup port forwarding on the router or change the port that the software uses I think that this can be done on aim I think that when I was in college I had to so this because the university blocked certain ports I know that you can do this on ICQ. I don't know if this will solve the problem completely but it is a start. Did someone else setup the network for you? You said you were told to remove all network cards and then install the one that you are going to use, was this because you have more then one installed in the system physically or did you have one and then got ride of it for another and did not remove the card's software? Does the router get an ip address from the dhcp server? When it says that you have limited or no connectivaty is that on the computer(the wireless card)? Also if this is on the wireless card then you may be to far away form the router and then you will need to get a access point or something to extend the range of the network. If you are very close to the router and still having problems is there anything that is in front of the router and if so does anything change if you move it to a spot that it is in the open, also the higher a wireless router is the better the signal so if you put it on a book shelf it is better then on the floor. I believe that I thought of everything, I hope this helps.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2005, 02:33 PM
    If you have Internet access, then your router is working and you are connecting. You shouldn't have to apply port forwarding to use AIM, I don't on my network.

I suspect that what may have happened is you may have implemented security on your PCs, but by resetting the router you erased the key. Your PCs are still trying to use the key, causing the problems in connection.The problem is I'm not sure how to remove the key from the clients.

You might want to call the tech support for your router. Most of the companies (Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, Belkin) have free 24/7 support that is usually pretty good.
    evilchrispark Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2005, 02:21 AM
    Holy I didn't know this was still up.
    I actually got it fixed a while ago,there was some sort of virus and was fixed after I bought one of those virus removers. Thanks for the advise though
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 24, 2005, 07:55 AM
    Thanks for letting us know, but please watch your language.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2005, 04:48 AM
    Language
    Hi,
    Thank you for letting us know your problem is solved.
    Your post would be much better without the 4 letter word.
    Have a great day,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't connect [ 1 Answers ]

I can't seem to connect directly to my cable modem. I setup a wireless network and it was working fine but then I started having problems. I then decided to reset and reconfigure my router but when I tried to connect directly to my modem, it either didn't show the connection or it said that I have...

Not Being Able To Connect [ 1 Answers ]

Facing prob when I'm trying to connect web through mobile phone . Prob is a fax modem already there in the laptop. So when trying with datacable its showing error messege "this modem is used by another usser" Please make the solution fast. That I can logon through the mobile phone Thanks

Can't connect [ 4 Answers ]

I am having a problem getting my Browser to connect to the internet. I am using my wife's computer right now. I don't know what could have happened as earlier I was surfing the net (I was even logged in to this site) when all of a sudden everything went blank. I have tried connecting with IE,...

Can't connect [ 1 Answers ]

I can't seem to connect directly to my cable modem. I setup a wireless network and it was working fine but then I started having problems. I then decided to reset and reconfigure my router but when I tried to connect directly to my modem, it either didn't show the connection or it said that I have...

Can't connect [ 2 Answers ]

View more questions Search