-

Jan 12, 2012, 12:52 AM
    Question About Calculus..
    Derive the Standard Equation of Parabola with vertex at (h,k):
    (y-k)^2 = 4a(x-h)
    Please derive it with diagram.
    corrigan Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Jan 12, 2012, 10:57 AM
    First of all, gives a parabola, but it's sideways. We can still derive it, but the only way it's a function is if is the domain and is the range. It's a little weird, but it's more likely you copied the problem wrong. Deriving it isn't to hard, you just treat , , and , like you would if they were real numbers. Since I don't know exactly what the problem is, I'll derive:

the first thing we'll do is expand it out, and solve for y

I'm not sure what you mean by a diagram, but I think it's the chart that shows the inflection points, and the orientation of the derivative. The inflection points are the values of when the derivative is zero. That isn't to hard, is zero only when , (i'm assuming is nonzero). The orientation of on either side of depends on the orientation of . If is positive, then is positive for and negative for . If is negative, then is negative for and positive for .

I hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Question About Calculus.. [ 1 Answers ]

I attach the following Math Pdf File. Please Open it and Solve it. Please Solve it as soon as possible. Thanks too much.

Question about Calculus (Limit).. [ 1 Answers ]

I attach the Math Pdf File. Please Open it and Solve my Problem. Please explain me with step by step. Thanks a lot for this...!

Calculus and vectors Question? [ 1 Answers ]

Maximizing Profits: A construction company has been offered a contract for $7.8 million to construct and operate a trucking route for five years to transport ore from a mine site to a smelter. The smelter is located on a major highway and mine is 3 km into a heavily forested area off the road....

Pre-Calculus Question [ 2 Answers ]

Solve the following for 0 ≤ x ≥2¶ 2sinČ(x)-cos(x)=1

View more questions Search