Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jfrog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2012, 11:33 PM
    Is a step-parent liable for spouse's child support if spouse does not work?
    As a step-parent, am I liable for paying child support on behalf of my spouse if my spouse does not generate income? I did not adopt her children, and just because I married her doesn't mean I should be obligated to pay her ex, or does it?
    jfrog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2012, 11:38 PM
    Sorry, I forgot to mention the question pertains to California laws. This website unfortunately doesn't let you edit a question if you realize you made a mistake...
    Thank you all for any advice!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 12, 2012, 04:49 AM
    Actually you can edit a question, but that ability is restricted to new members. You did the correct thing by adding an post to the thread you started.

The answer to your question is if the spouse is required to pay support, that support has to come from someplace. If the spouse does not generate income, then the spouse should go back to court for a modification of the support order. Until that is done the support is required to be paid.

On the other hand, you can't be compelled to pay the support. Your salary can't be garnished, nor can assets solely in your own name be attached. But joint assets could be.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 12, 2012, 05:15 AM
    Here is the problem. Since California is a community property state then 1/2 of what you make your spouse is entitled to. Also on arrears there is a 10% interest charge. They can determine child support on her last wage earnings. Somewhere the monies will have to be paid. If no money is paid then life can be made a real mess. So if you both have decided to have her stay at home then your both going to have to figure out how to pay the support order.

The child still has needs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When parent fails to maintain contact and support to child. Step parent adoption [ 3 Answers ]

My husband got sole custody of his son at 7 months because at 1 month old his biological mother spiral fractured his left femur and he 2 years old now. Im his step mother and his primary caregiver. I love him more than anything in the world like he was my own child and he calls me mom. I want to...

In Montana (MT) is a spouse required to pay their spouse's child support? [ 1 Answers ]

We live in Montana and my boyfriend has a six year old son. He is part of his life and we see him every chance we get (difficult because he lives on the other side of the state). I just got a job and I want to add my boyfriend to my insurance. To do this we have to claim financial interdependency....

Is the estate of dead parent liable for arrearage of child support in ga [ 3 Answers ]

Is the estate of dead parent liable for arrearage of child support in ga

Step parent must pay child support when biological parent is unable to provide [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-husband is claiming that he does not have to pay child support because he does not work and has not work since 1998. Our two daughters however, up until 2 years ago lived with him and his new wife who is the sole provider of that family. So my question is even though he cannot pay since he...

Can a step-parent be forced to pay child support for their spouses child? [ 9 Answers ]

My friend's husband has a child from a previous relationship that she just recently found out about. He has no relationship with this child but has been paying child support for the past 2 1/2 yrs. The child is presently 6yrs old. She has heard through a someone that knows the mother of the...

View more questions Search