Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2012, 05:56 AM
    Can I put old WinXP Hard drive (as secondary) in new Win7 computer?
    I just got a Windows7 computer and find that a crucial program to my business only runs on WindowsXP.

So can I put the old hard drive in my new computer so that I can run the program that I need? If so, I presume that I'd need to change the jumpers on the old hard drive. What else do I need to know?

Alternatively, could I just get an "enclosure" for the old hard drive and use it externally?

Thank you!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2012, 06:56 AM
    Sure you can install the drive and see the contents but you won't be able to run the program from that drive. That would only work if you set up the computer to dual-boot Win7 and XP.
    You can try reinstalling the program in Win7 (if it allows it) in XP compatibility mode: [Win7/Vista] Windows XP Compatibility Mode in Windows 7 and Vista | UNC-Chapel Hill Help and Support
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2012, 06:56 AM
    Have you tried to install and run that application in Compatibility mode yet under windows 7? NK beat me to it by only moments.
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2012, 07:47 AM
    I didn't know about compatibility mode. I'll give it a try and let you know how it went.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2012, 11:07 AM
    Thank you, NeedKarma and Smoothy. The program is partially working using compatibility mode, but has some issues... so now I'm going to try to run it in XP mode. If that does not work, the next step would be "virtual pc", but I'm thinking I don't want to go that route. If the program does not work in XP Mode, then I'll have to get new software.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a external secondary hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

OK.. I bought a hard drive and I'm trying to connect it to my laptop as an external drive. When I connect it to my laptop nothing comes up.. can anyone help.. thanks

Hard Drive and My Computer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all my Intellectual Brothers and Sisters, I have been having problem with 1 of my external drives. I use 2 external hard drives on a desktop PC. Both were working properly and set autoplay. But yesterday, as I was playing a video file from the current faulty hard drive, the USB cable...

WinXP NTFS formatted hard drive is "unallocated" [ 8 Answers ]

Howdy. I recently purchased a 500gb hard drive, hooked it up as the master (cable select on, plugged to end of IDE cable) drive on the secondary IDE channel of the motherboard then initialized and formatted it in WinXP SP2. Once this was done, the drive was recognized as "healthy, working" in...

Can't get hard drive out of computer [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to get a hard drive out of an old Dell Dimension XPS T600r. It's mounted vertical up along the front of the box... not attached by side screws. How do I get this thing out? Thanks!

Computer hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

When I press the button to turn my computer on nothing happens. Can it be repaired; is there a reset button; has it died? I have a 6000 series HP computer.

View more questions Search