Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MusicologyDunce Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2012, 07:00 PM
    What does Charles Rosen mean by the term 'Thematic Concentration' ?
    I'm studying the Mozart string quartet K. 421 in D minor and I need to discuss the thematic concentration in the piece!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 07:36 PM
    Does Grove give you a definition of "thematic concentration," or do you have a good understanding of that according to Rosen? You may have to delve into his book, The Classical Style (1971), which analyzes the nature and evolution of the high classical style as it was developed by Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven.

As for the quartet, "[it's] one of a set of six dedicated to Haydn, a composer Mozart respected and held in great esteem. Maybe because he knew that Haydn had already proved a receptive audience, Mozart felt uncharacteristically free to open himself up in this music. He completed the first of his Haydn quartets (K.387) by April 1783. The other five were finished by January 14, 1785, and published later that year. All six quartets give us a rare glimpse into Mozart's inner feelings in some of the most private music he was to write."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the long term and short term effects of credit and debt [ 2 Answers ]

What are the long term and short term effects of credit and debt?

I need to make a Thematic Statement for the book "Of Mice and Men" [ 10 Answers ]

I need one for, Social Injustice Human Suffering/Loneliness Dreams/Hope Mercy Killing

Short term vs long term capital gains, loss carryovers [ 4 Answers ]

Back in 2000 and 2001, I had short term capital losses that exceeded the 3000 dollar limit. Each year, I've been able to deduct 3000 dollars since my short term gains have been minimal. I still haven't used up all my 2000 and 2001 short term losses. I had some long term gains in 2000, but...

Discrete Math +Kenneth Rosen 6th edition pb# 44 pg 529 [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I don't know what to do here and If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks a lot! Let S be a set with "n" elements and let "a" and "b" be distinct elements of S. How many relations are there on S such that a) (a,b) is in S b) (a,b) is not in S c) There are no ordered pairs...

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why? [ 4 Answers ]

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why?

View more questions Search