Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrsfury Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2012, 02:00 PM
    Catholic woman wanting to marry Jewish man
    I am a catholic woman who wants to marry a jewish man in Israel.Does anybody know what the rules are?He said that he would convert to the catholic church,How would he go about doing that?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 02:34 PM
    Your fiancé should contact the catholic church where he lives and talk with the pastor. In general to convert to catholicism the church requires him to complete the Roman Catholic Initiation of Adults, which is a weekly program about one year in duration. Then to be married in a catholic church he must first be baptized.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 03:40 PM
    I also have to ask, sorry but you said you are catholic? If you are catholic how do you not know the rules on someone joining your own church?

But does he believe in Christianity, is that why he is converting? There is no reason he has to convert to get married,
    Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    There is no reason he has to convert to get married,
    Perhaps I read too much into the question... I assumed that the OP wanted to be married in a catholic church. But if that's not the case - then, never mind!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 04:10 PM
    Yes, just said they wanted to get married in Israel. Perhaps the OP can clarify
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 10, 2012, 05:25 PM
    There is no requirement for either of you to convert to get married. However, if you want to be married in a catholic church the priest may require that he convert. If so you talk to a priest about the requirements.
    Expert

Jan 11, 2012, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    if you want to be married in a catholic church the priest may require that he convert.
    As noted - to be married in a Catholc Church he must be baptised, which will require that he convert from Judaism to some form of Christianity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Catholic marriage divorce' wanting to re-marry [ 7 Answers ]

I was married in the catholic church and now divorced. I've met a wonderful man who has asked me to marry him, and I'd like to get married by a priest or minister close to the catholic religion. I do not wish to obtain an annulment of my first marriage.

British woman wants to marry tunisian man? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship with a tunisian man since last year and we both want to be together.I live in the uk and he in tunisia he says he wants me to live there and I do but I'm getting confused on how I go about it I go over in 3 weeks for a holiday but in August time I want to move over...

Can a man marry another woman after marrige [ 5 Answers ]

I am married for 11years. We have 2 kids. My husband married another woman an year ago. From the time he met her, he and my in-laws started making false statements against me that I have affairs with men, with our relatives, friends and everyone. Now everyone came to know that he's making false...

What should an english woman do to can marry a tunisian man [ 2 Answers ]

What should an english woman do to can marry a tunisian man

View more questions Search