Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gzluhn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2012, 08:04 AM
    Statute of limitations Florida criminal?
    If I have a warrant in another state and the statute of limitation is up. Will the warrant be dropped or can they still prosecute me
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 08:42 AM
    If what you say is correct they will no longer try to prosecute you. What was the charge BTW?Having read all of the other answers I'd have to agree with them and withdraw my answer. I was thinking of a criminal offense which does have an SOL. After research there is no SOL once the warrant is issued.
    gzluhn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2012, 09:00 AM
    Worthless checks
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2012, 10:02 AM
    Actually, the issuance of the arrest warrant tolls or stops the SOL. You are still wanted, and can still be prosecuted. If you could evade prosecution by avoiding the execution of an arrest warrant, a lot more people would run and hide. See this link for info.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kcomissiong View Post
    Actually, the issuance of the arrest warrant tolls or stops the SOL. You are still wanted, and can still be prosecuted. If you could evade prosecution by avoiding the execution of an arrest warrant, a lot more people would run and hide. See this link for info.
    I had actually though that was the case... but withheld saying anything because I wasn't 100% sure.

And a point to note... if you get stopped for a traffic violation.. the cops do run a search for warrants on you, and the communication between states has never been better and it keeps getting better by the day.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 10, 2012, 10:31 AM
    SOL is an oft misunderstood thing. SOL refers to the time in which legal action has to commence against you. If a warrant was issued, that means legal action already commenced, therefore, SOL no longer applies.

Warrants generally have no expiration.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations for certain crimes in Florida [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to find out what the statute of limitations is for Grand Theft (appx. $1800) in the state of Florida.

Statute of limitations in Florida (traffic) [ 1 Answers ]

My son was charged with dui Florida 316.193(1) in 2009. In court, the people could not proceed and the case was closed. (case not prosecuted) On 10/18/2011, two years later,he was served with a summons to appear for this charge at this time bearing a new docket number. Can he be charged now for a...

Criminal statute of limitations ontario [ 2 Answers ]

I was repeatedly sexually abused starting in approximately 1964. Is it too late to bring a criminal charge against the perpetrator?

Statute of limitations for debt in Florida [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know the sol for a debt in Fl? I have googled it, but found law or lawyers sights, instead of something which has the answer.

Statute of Limitations on Criminal injuries in canada [ 3 Answers ]

Have some issues to bring to court, ei, physical abuse, reckless driving, endangerment resulting in personal injuries. These injuries are inferring with my working abilities and limiting my physical mobility. Was abused wife and little children and afraid to do anything at the time. Thanks for...

View more questions Search