Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NicoleLynn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 02:55 PM
    An ex claims to have my fiance's baby.
    :confused:

My fiancé and I have been together over 2 years now. We are very happy together and ready to make a life for ourselves. However, there is a woman who claims to have his baby. She refuses to have a DNA test done and until recently he had no interest in finding out. The problem I am facing is this. If she refuses to have a test done and then my fiancé and I build wealth together can she come and demand a test then? Also if it turned out to be his can he relinquish all rights to the child?

He has been in the same home, had the same phone number, and even works for the same company as this woman. There is no reason why she couldn’t reach him but she hasn't. So I just want to know if there is anything we can do on our end.

:confused:
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 13, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Relinquishing his rights does nothing.

I would get a family lawyer.
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Feb 13, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Yes, as Synnen suggested I'd get a family lawyer. I'd inquire if there is a way to force a DNA test to resolve paternity. It'll be better in the long run to confront it now, than wait until it comes up later. If he is the father and later she decides to pursue support, they will go back several years and expect a large lump sum for back support... very unpleasant.

Feb 13, 2007, 03:59 PM
    That is what I was afraid of. Now, The girl who has this child is married with a second baby. If we gave all rights to her husband does that permanently relieve him of responsibility over the child?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 13, 2007, 04:05 PM
    If her new husband were to adopt the child, then yes.

I would refuse to sign any relinquishment papers until the adoption papers were lined up, though. Without the child getting adopted by this other man, all signing over any parental rights does is 2 things: Admits paternity for any child support and takes away any chance of making ANY choices about that child's future.

If she's refusing to have DNA testing done, there's an issue and something to hide. I would seriously get a lawyer, or it may come back to bite you in the end.
    don8 Posts: 75, Reputation: 16

Feb 19, 2007, 09:10 AM
    If you want to know you can potition the court to get a paternity test and she will be forced to get one, if it turns out to be his child you can petition the court again to ask to relinquish his rights by explaing the situation to the judge and letting him know that he has never been contacted about the child and that he doesn't fell he should step into the child's life now. I hope this helped you
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2007, 08:05 PM
    There's really not much you can do. You can perhaps try to get her to sign an affidavit stating that your fiancé is not the father of the child in question. This may preempt any future attempts on her part to compel a DNA test and sue for chid support. Frankly, however, I'm not sure how binding even that would be if push comes to shove.
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Feb 22, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Hire a lawyer. She can come back 15 years from now and get back support if the child belongs to your husband, Fix it now because as some one said it can come back and bite you in the butt. A lawyer can be cheap in the long run.

Feb 23, 2007, 08:01 AM
    WOW thanks for all of the fantastic advice. Got any "choice words" to convince him we should do this now... and take the first step, rather than wait for her?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use this to take someone to small claims? [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to make it short and sweet. We went to settlement on the our purchase of a home and, because I thought I knew the person we bought our home from I did not take a written agreement. BIG NO NO on my behalf realizing that now... The agreement was for the seller to come back and repair...

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to sue in small claims court... the situation is... I paid a sort of boyfriend my half of a vacation that never happened... I canceled the vacation in time to get a return for my share of the cost... it was all on his credit card... when it came back to his card he never gave me the...

Baby strange illness. Whole body of baby get harden [ 9 Answers ]

My brother's baby boy 4 months old got a strange illness. He had blood tested, brain scanning, lung checking etc. Everything is normal. But the baby boy got an unpreditable "body harden" illness. That is when it happens, the whole body of the baby get stiff and he can not move, can not cry... We...

Fish dream with fianc?'s son [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - First time visiting this site. Here goes; I hope someone can help me understand this. I am engaged to a man with a 7 year old boy who visits every other weekend. I recently had a dream about him. I was standing in the bathroom and he came in the bathroom with a cup of water and he wanted...

Paying fiancŽ's Tuition? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I am a graduate student and am engaged to be married in August of this year, 2006. The only debt I currently have are undergraduate student loans. I have a small amount of savings and am able to support myself while going to graduate school without taking out more loans. My fiancé...

View more questions Search