Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OnaTightBudget Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2012, 09:02 PM
    Can I just run a red 12 gauge solid wire separately along side of 12-2 solid wire to
    Can I just run a red 12 gauge solid wire separately along side of 12-2 solid wire to make it 12-3?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2012, 03:51 AM
    No, all conductors of a circuit must be enclosed by a raceway or cable sheathing.
    OnaTightBudget Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2012, 10:32 AM
    Thanks, TKRussell, That solves that. I'll get some 12-3 for these runs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black wire red wire and white wire spliced to 10/3 on a 220 circuit [ 25 Answers ]

I have installed a disconnect between my dryer receptable and a tanning bed. I want to splice the 10/3 box wire to the existing 220 wiring at the dryer. Dryer= red, black, white and bare ground wires 10/3 wire= black, white, and bare ground How do I splice these to allow the disconnect box to...

Can I run 14 gauge wire off a 16 gauge wire? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm trying to hook up a light fixture in a garage. The existing fixture is connected with 16 gauge and I'm trying to run 14 to another fixture. Is that safe?

8 gauge strand or solid [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a new oven/combo. It calls for 8 gauge solid wire. Stranded would be much easier to run in existing conduit. What's the reason it calls for solid? Any reason not to use stranded other than the manfacturer call for it? Thanks

What gauge of wire do you need to run off a 20-amp breaker? [ 2 Answers ]

What gauge of wire do you need to run off a 20-amp breaker?

Stranded wire to solid wire [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any advantage, disadvantage, safety concerns, etc, in twisting, or not twisting stranded wire, such as fixture wire, to the solid wire before installing the wire nut? I always twist solid wire with linesman pliers, then install the wire nut. With fixture wire, I just twist the fixture...

View more questions Search