Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2012, 02:28 PM
    2012 End of the World: Theories & Discussion
    Harold Camping caused quite a stir in 2011 with not one, but two predictions of the end of everything we know. While it is doubtful another one of his prophecies will gain much traction again, 2012 is not short of other big theories as to how life on Earth will cease to exist.

Did the Mayans foreshadow our downfall? Will the magnetic poles be the cause of untold calamity?

On December 21st this year, the Mayan Calendar reboots; others have put great stock in the magnetic pole shift; asteroids attacking the Earth; a convergence of environmental, war and famine lead to great upheaval; and the possibilities go on and on.

What do you think? Let us know below. This should be an exciting year!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 02:38 PM
    I am amazed and saddened at how (a) certain charlatans promulgate ridiculous therories about the world ending, and (b) people fall for it. It used to be that the end of the world was forecasted about every 5 years or so. Now it seems about every two years an new hoax comes aong, and sometimes more often than that. The really bizarre thing is that some of the same people who predicted the "Jupiter Effect" doomsday of 1982, the "Harmonic Convergence" overthrow of the old world order in 1987, and the "5-5-2000" planet-alignment catastrophe in 2000 are behind this one as well.
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2012, 02:43 PM
    I remember each one of those predictions, especially the earlier ones as a child. I remember Michael Douglas having someone on talking about the end of the world based on the "Jupiter Effect". Why has this happened ever since humans could walk upright?

Power and riches. Imagine how many books are sold, the radio and TV ratings increasing. It's human nature, I guess. Sad to see in 2012.

But, there are some honest to goodness, well intentioned people who sincerely believe something calamitous is upon us.

What are some of the theories out there?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2012, 05:50 PM
    I'm dusting off all those Y2K supplies buried in my pantry. I bet they will sell well on eBay.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 05:54 PM
    I am having people almost throw money to me, to teach them how to sword fight. They know its going to be like the end of the world movies and everyone will be using swords again at some point.
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2012, 05:56 PM
    Chuck, please tell me you are joking.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2012, 05:58 PM
    We all have heard lots of theories and let's not forget what the Bible tells us, sometime in the not too distant future nasty things are going to happen.

We have been at risk for a long, or short time, depending upon your point of view and yet here we are. The latest to emerge is the Ice Age due to return in 1,500 years, unless we increase our production of CO2, yes, that's right, increase. However, My personal favourite is the supervolcano, you can have Iceland, overdue, or, Yellowstone, also overdue. No amount of CO2 will overcome their effects.

I say, No Worries, I can't change whatever happens anyway
    Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 06:08 PM
    Nope, We operate a martial arts studio, we specialize in combat karate for adults ( do softer style for kids) and teach many of the weapons. Sword is my weapon , been doing it for 30 plus years. We sell a rolled steel hand made swords that I import from Japan. Also we teach the weapons.

Sword is the most popular.
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2012, 06:50 PM
    (remind me never to piss off Chuck).

But, are you serious about people actually stating their intent to learn sword fighting BECAUSE they think the world might end or change greatly?
    Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 07:04 PM
    Yep, we are thinking about holding a "survive seminars latter this summer. Weekend course to include trapping your own food, what is a must in a pick up and run pack. How to bury items for use latter and so on.

Thinking of a price of 600 to 700 for one day 1000 for a two days. We already have a couple people on a waiting list and don't even have it planned yet.

I know people with 1000's of rounds of ammo saved up, some of it with weapons buried in special containers used to bury weapons.

They teach the 22 cal rifle or pistol, for hunting, you can own 10,000 rounds with little cost and buy it in 500 round bricks and not even catch attention.

We are trying to find out if it is legal to teach explosives, there are several things in anyone's home when mixed right will set fires or go boom.

But yes, 50 dollars for 45 min private class on combat sword fighting
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2012, 07:05 PM
    Cue the Banjo...
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2012, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffARobinson View Post
    Cue the Banjo...
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2012, 09:29 AM
    The Goracle has popped up and the end of his environmental riches... er, the end of civilization is at stake in this presidential campaign he says. We're all going to fry. Or not. Who knows?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2012, 01:32 PM
    Of course we are all going to fry it has been foretold
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2012, 02:12 PM
    SpeechlessTX... nice touch!

paraclete - in the words of Spock, "Indeed, Captain".

BTW - I just heard that Nostradamus has something he supposedly predicted in 2012 as well? I love all of the predictions authors publish after the fact as they try to apply his poetic gibberish to actual events.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 12, 2012, 10:42 PM
    So should I cancel the Netflix or NOT? Hey Chuck do you have discounts for AMHD members? Do you take mastercard or visa?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is the world going to end in 2012? [ 17 Answers ]

I'm so serious when I ask this. I'm 20 years old and this honestly, scares me to no end. I have always been terrified by all these "predictions" about the end of the world. And due to recent tragedies(VA/NY/JAPAN Earthquakes, etc), it's got me more scared then ever. Is the world really going to...

Will The World End In 2012? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I don't know if this would come into the subject of Science Fiction and Fantasy. Everybody at my school is saying "why are us kids wasting the last 3 or 4 years of our lifes in school?" Today, I asked one of them what it meant, and they told me all about it. They said that the myan tribe...

Is 2012 going to be the end of the world? [ 6 Answers ]

So I have been doing a lot of research about 2012. I find some websites that say it is not going to happen and some that say a bunch of stuff is going to happen. I am getting really nervous. I do not know what to believe anymore. Does anyone have any opinions about this? Am I over reacting about it?

Will the world end in 2012? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not sure this is the right spot to publish this question, but here goes: Do you believe that the world will end in 2012? If so, why? If not, why not?

View more questions Search