Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    __sarah__ Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2004, 06:04 PM
    Can't update windows xp
    i can't update my windows xp...sometimes a bubble will pop up in my taskbar and say "new updates are available"...i'd click on it and it will ask me to install the new updates...it would go into the process of installing then stop and say something like "the cd key is not valid"...then it will end up not installing....wut should i do? :confused:
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Nov 17, 2004, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by __sarah__
    i can't update my windows xp...sometimes a bubble will pop up in my taskbar and say "new updates are available"...i'd click on it and it will ask me to install the new updates...it would go into the process of installing then stop and say something like "the cd key is not valid"...then it will end up not installing....wut should i do? :confused:
    Are you using a "pirate" CD key?

Nov 17, 2004, 06:40 PM
    what's a pirate cd key?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Nov 17, 2004, 08:51 PM
    When you install windows, you are prompted to enter a CD key. If your computer was built for you by someone else, it is possible they installed windows (and entered the key) for you. Each copy of windows comes with its own unique CD key.

Now let's say you wanted to install windows, but had no CD key, and didn't want to buy one. One option would be to "find" a CD key on the internet or somewhere else, and use it instead. So you would grab it from a list of "pirate" CD keys to install windows without a license.

This is copyright infringement, because Microsoft's license doesn't allow you to do that. Microsoft doesn't like when people do that, so it is possible they are preventing people with these popular CD keys from updating windows. Maybe (I don't know).

So, see if you can find you windows "certificate of authenticity." If you've got one, your copy is probably legit.

Who installed windows for you?

Nov 18, 2004, 08:22 PM
    Somebody else installed it for me... I dun think we bought it.. :o

So I won't be able to update windows, unless I buy windows xp and install it again on my computer?
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 18, 2005, 08:23 PM
    Help
    The only way to get a cheap WinXp that I know of is, if you know of a friend or relative in College, most college school stores, sell WinXp for under $10 or so to students with proper ID. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows update [ 24 Answers ]

I have had no updates from windows update since beging of December and auto updates are off. If I go to the site it says 0 -0 - 0 -0 in all the catogerys but I haven't changed anything. Ihas there just been no updates?? If so then it's a miricel lol

XP update [ 12 Answers ]

Can someone tell me why when I download the service pack 2 (update) for windows xp and I restart the computer it says error? And a blu page popup telling that windows has encounter a problem and it can not be started What do I have to do I try the same thing 4 times and the problem persist...

Security Update for Windows XP, 12 April 2005 [ 5 Answers ]

Microsoft Corporation - Windows XP family Security Update for Windows XP (KB893086) Typical download size: 1.2 MB, 1 minute A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your...

Windows XP update failures after Service Pack 2 installation [ 2 Answers ]

Since installing XP Service Pack 2, the few updates that have occurred subsequently have all failed to install after downloading. Downloading seems to reach 95% completion normally and then slows right down. 'failed' then appears against the update name.

Windows update [ 4 Answers ]

Hello experts, I'm not sure but I think I may have a problem. I ran the windows update and got the security update 823559 and a day or so later I received the same message that this update was needed again. I looked in my installed updates and noticed I have a total of 19 security updates with this...

View more questions Search