Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherbear Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Goodman Inducer Motor
    I have a Goodman Gas Furnace installed in 1997 and have been experiencing the following problems:

The usual run for the furnace has been inducer motor on, ignition (with flames), and then the blower motor comes on.

I have been having the inducer motor come on, run for about three minutes, shut off, turn on again then ignition OR the inducer motor comes on, runs for about three minutes, shuts off, turns on again, shuts off, turns on again and then finally ignites. I have even counted the number of times that the inducer motor has come on and it has taken place after the fourth shut off.

In the last three months I have done the following:
    1. Replaced the blower motor (due to a strong burning smell from it)
    2. Replaced the capacitator
    3. Replace the flame sensor
    4. Had the condescant (spelling?) pump tubing and trap blown out

And the problem continues...

We now have replaced the control board and it still does seem to run correctly all the time.

Now the furnace runs good sometimes. Example: The inducer motor comes on, runs for about 20 seconds, you hear it click and then ignition and flames, then the main blower comes on.

And the furnace runs poorly sometimes: Example: The inducer motor comes on, runs about 30 seconds, then you hear it click and it seems to be "working very hard". The inducer motor then runs "normal" and then you hear click and it seems to be working hard again. Finally you hear it click one more time, then ignition and flames followed by the main blower.

I know that there is something else wrong with it. Any suggestions? We have been told there is not much that can be done without it completely stopping. Would it be the thermostat? Could it be the pressure switch? Could it be a faulty control board? The temperatures where I live have been below zero day and night so it is necessary to have a furnace that runs good. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2007, 02:51 PM
    How much money have you put into that furnace? That money could have been applied to a new furnace. I'm trying my best not to bash Goodman but they seem to have so many problem, here at work and on these posts. Here is a picture of a failing 8 year old GMP75 heat exchanger. You probably have cracked and broken eyelets too.
    Attached Images

sherbear Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 03:36 PM
    I don't think it is the heat exchanger. In my quest for finding out what was wrong with it one suggestion was to look at the burners to see if the heat exchanger was cracked. One service person looked and I was told that the flames looked good. I was also told by that:
    1. the hot surface ignitor was not cracked
    2. the flame sensor looked good
    Do you think it might be the pressure switch? Thank you for your response. I appreciate it!
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2007, 08:47 PM
    You must have missed my point. Your heat exchanger is probably failed. You have spent a lot of money beating a dead horse.
    bruapp Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sherbear
    I have a Goodman Gas Furnace installed in 1997 and have been experiencing the following problems:

The usual run for the furnace has been inducer motor on, ignition (with flames), and then the blower motor comes on.

I have been having the inducer motor come on, run for about three minutes, shut off, turn on again then ignition OR the inducer motor comes on, runs for about three minutes, shuts off, turns on again, shuts off, turns on again and then finally ignites. I have even counted the number of times that the inducer motor has come on and it has taken place after the fourth shut off.

In the last three months I have done the following:
    1. Replaced the blower motor (due to a strong burning smell from it)
    2. Replaced the capacitator
    3. Replace the flame sensor
    4. Had the condescant (spelling?) pump tubing and trap blown out

And the problem continues...

We now have replaced the control board and it still does seem to run correctly all the time.

Now the furnace runs good sometimes. Example: The inducer motor comes on, runs for about 20 seconds, you hear it click and then ignition and flames, then the main blower comes on.

And the furnace runs poorly sometimes: Example: The inducer motor comes on, runs about 30 seconds, then you hear it click and it seems to be "working very hard". The inducer motor then runs "normal" and then you hear click and it seems to be working hard again. Finally you hear it click one more time, then ignition and flames followed by the main blower.

I know that there is something else wrong with it. Any suggestions? We have been told there is not much that can be done without it completely stopping. Would it be the thermostat? Could it be the pressure switch? Could it be a faulty control board? The temperatures where I live have been below zero day and night so it is necessary to have a furnace that runs good. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    I think NorthernHeat may have answered my problem.
    I have almost the identical situation as Sherbear has.
    I would not have reasoned that the Heat Exchanger would affect this. I am not getting anywhere replacing parts such as the pressure switch and about to replace the control board.
    I have a warranted Heat Exchanger at a local heating company waiting to be installed which I have delayed as I want to see if I could keep the furnace running first. Maybe all it needs is to get that Heat Exchanger installed! In my furnace it's cracked all the way across the cover plate at the bottom from mounting screw to mounting screw. Lucky so far: no indication of carbon monoxide.
    My theory on this is the exchanger is losing air by way of the cracks and since it is tied into the ventor motor assembly there would be a varying vacuum going on for the pressure switch. Why? I think because the system when cool, cracks get larger as my problem appears when the furnace is first started up. If I get to the flame and heating period I have no problem fiinishing the cycle even though I've heard the venting motor stop and start during those times.
    Make sense?
    Frdbrkl Posts: 94, Reputation: 7

Jan 12, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat
    How much money have you put into that furnace? That money could have been applied to a new furnace. I'm trying my best not to bash Goodman but they seem to have so many problem, here at work and on these posts. too.
    Agreed. The problem as I see it... Goodman is not as poor quality as one would think, the problem lies in the fact that it is cheap. This is the brand of choice for the bootlegger, cheap landlord, or homeowner wanting to dump a house, and more often than not where there was cheating on equipment price, there was also cheating in installation price, resulting in less than quality installations.

In other words, it's not so much the equipment as the installer.

Goodman actually makes some knockout stuff, but NOBODY ever buys it for the most part.

Like NorthernHeat, I try not to bash Goodman/Janitrol/Amana but sometimes it's hard...
    OmahaJoe Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Feb 13, 2008, 12:12 AM
    Goodman is crap, and the people who install it are usually not reputable and don't back their product. People like Park and Sons or Emergency Heating and Repair in Omaha Nebraska. Lowest bidder for a reason. Will not answer service calls or questions. If this company bids on your project in Omaha, call the BBB and then tell him NO THANKS!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Contact goodman for a free heat exchanger. They have been replacing the troublesome ones for free.
    OmahaJoe Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Feb 13, 2008, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    Contact goodman for a free heat exchanger. They have been replacing the troublesome ones for free.
    Is it the heat exchanger then, that's the problem? I have the identical situation: Start up, goes off after not igniting. Two more tries, then kaput. I've taken the things out and sanded them, I got to figure I'm getting 24 volt, but the furnace is now doing this two to three times per day.

All I need is a couple good years until I go to a real furnace, like Trane or Rheem.

Feb 13, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Rheem,Ruud,Carrier,Bryant,American Standard,Trane,Heil, Coleman, Red T and all the other manufactures have problems.

The days of the old pilot thermocouple type furnace has been gone for a long time. With the old units they would run for years without a service call. The new ones will not because they have more high tech components and they run at the ragged edge of maximum efficiency which puts a strain on all components especially heat exchangers.

The more parts in a furnace the more chances of a break down and that is what we are hearing about today.

Some facts.

Goodman uses many of the same parts as all the other manufactures. Same company makes the parts for all HVAC manufactures.These are off the shelf parts so the failure rate is the same on all brand lines.

Goodman is a very high volume manufacturer surpassing many of the other well known manufactures in units sold. This is one reason why you might hear of a Goodman break down more often since they make more units to break down to start with.

In almost every owners manual or service manual the manufacturer of these high efficiency units tell you to have the unit inspected and serviced once each heating season. Most people ignore the factory message and then complain when it breaks down. WHY because there old furnace lasted 20 years and never broke down. We are in a new world when it comes to HVAC today and the next series of units (we are testing for some manufactures at NKU) will not allow homeowner repairs due to the sensitive nature of the controls. A hand held computer device will be needed to access each unit and each unit will require a hidden password from the unit to the testing device before it will allow access. Each unit will have a different password issued on the assembly line. A micro processor (write only with permanent memory) will keep track of all faults and repairs on each unit.

Main reasons for this is.

Stop unauthorized (not trained) people from messing with settings and devices that control the furnace.

Prevent damage to the unit by by people who do not possess the knowledge to repair the unit.

To keep a permanent record of repairs on all the units you sell to help the factory catch trouble areas before they become a major problem. NOTE: Dealers and authorized service personnel will be required to upload all captured information to the company web site for dealers once a week.

High efficiency is not free. The more efficient the more repairs you will have that is just a fact of life.

This is the wave of the future and it is coming soon just like it did to the car dealers service department.
    Eric D Posts: 98, Reputation: 4

Feb 13, 2008, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    In almost every owners manual or service manual the manufacturer of these high efficiency units tell you to have the unit inspected and serviced once each heating season. Most people ignore the factory message and then complain when it breaks down. WHY because there old furnace lasted 20 years and never broke down. We are in a new world when it comes to HVAC today and the next series of units (we are testing for some manufactures at NKU) will not allow homeowner repairs due to the sensitive nature of the controls. A hand held computer device will be needed to access each unit and each unit will require a hidden password from the unit to the testing device before it will allow access. Each unit will have a different password issued on the assembly line. A micro processor (write only with permanent memory) will keep track of all faults and repairs on each unit.

Main reasons for this is.

Stop unauthorized (not trained) people from messing with settings and devices that control the furnace.

Prevent damage to the unit by by people who do not posess the knowledge to repair the unit.

To keep a permanent record of repairs on all the units you sell to help the factory catch trouble areas before they become a major problem. NOTE: Dealers and authorized service personnel will be required to upload all captured information to the company web site for dealers once a week.

High efficiency is not free. The more efficient the more repairs you will have that is just a fact of life.

This is the wave of the future and it is coming soon just like it did to the car dealers service department.
    You obvious have been around HVAC for sometime and I sure you have helped may people here. Please don't take this as anything against you, but I have to tell you that in my opinion the manufacturers are feeding you garbage. There is NO reason why modern high efficiency equipment of any type needs to be unreliable or need MORE repairs as compared to older equipment. New equipment designed with current state of art techniques, manufacturing quality control processes and proper installation should be trouble free for at least 10 years. When we, consumers, pay a premium for a piece of equipment there are expectations that come with it. Reliability is at the top of the list. I also expect the manufacture to have the research and development completed before I have their unit in my house. I don't expect them to include me as their research and development source.

In your opinion who is qualified to work on a furnace? What does it take to become qualified? What special skills does this individual have to possesses? My point, no residential furnace is more complicated then an aircraft. Did you know that the FAA allows aircraft built by any average Joe to fly over you? There are many folks with the skills needed to repair anything you or I could. What they might not have are the proper instructions, schematics or access to measurement equipment. This is manufacturers real control over who works on the equipment they sell. Control the information and you control who works on what. Personally I think this type of control is wrong.

Hey, we are all in tittled to our opinions and I like my right to fix what I own without any company telling me what I can and can't do.

Regards,

Eric D

Feb 13, 2008, 10:40 PM
    ((Please don't take this as anything against you, but I have to tell you that in my opinion the manufacturers are feeding you garbage. ))

Statistics do not lie ( these are provided by the manufacturer to us about the failures)

((There is NO reason why modern high efficiency equipment of any type needs to be unreliable or need MORE repairs as compared to older equipment))

More moving parts allow more room for more failure and the new furnaces have a lot more moving and solid state parts than the old furnaces.

((When we, consumers, pay a premium for a piece of equipment there are expectations that come with it. Reliability is at the top of the list. I also expect the manufacture to have the research and development completed before I have their unit in my house. I don't expect them to include me as their research and development source.))

Your expectations are to high for such a cheap item. Taking inflation into account furnaces prices excluding labor are cheaper than they were twenty years ago.

Reliability is there but no one follows the manufactures instructions. One of the major problems with new furnaces is voltage spikes as supplied by your utility. Almost no one has a arrester/surge suppresser on there main electric panel to prevent damage to the sensitive electronics that are now in furnaces.

Manufactures do much R+D and we are just one little university that gets paid to do research. It helps cover the cost of out operation and supplies with fresh equipment to play with/work on. One item in our advantage to the manufactures is the fact we have a 24X24 foot room that we call the chamber. We can simulate any weather from desert heat down to zero degrees F.

In your opinion who is qualified to work on a furnace? What does it take to become qualified? What special skills does this individual have to possesses? My point, no residential furnace is more complicated then an aircraft. Did you know that the FAA allows aircraft built by any average Joe to fly over you?

Qualifications are simple. Get to a qualified school approved by the furnace manufacturer and become certified to work on there equipment.

My point, no residential furnace is more complicated then an aircraft. Did you know that the FAA allows aircraft built by any average Joe to fly over you?

The homebuild aircraft are very simple my brother in law has one. The FAA only allows homebuild aircraft to fly under certain circumstances and you are not allowed to carry passengers. This is so JOE can kill himself and hopefully not others.

Americans are driven by price and the furnace manufactures are working with in that limitation. They could offer gold contacts and MIL spec material but the unit would cost four times the money and soon the furnace company would find themselves out of business.

You sound like a guy that would try and repair his air bag module in his car to save a few $$ not knowing until the wreck if it really works or not. Every time a furnace lites there is a controlled explosion and subsequent expansion of metals. CO poisoning kills many people every year and that is caused by heating equipment most of the time. Part of that reason is because people work on there own equipment or the service man is not educated in proper repair procedures.

These steps are being takes to prevent people from hurting themselves working on equipment they have no business working on and the frivolous law suits filed by the same stupid people trying to get paid for there mistake. Now there will be a record of tampering and that is better for all of us.

Feb 14, 2008, 11:43 AM
    hvac1000,

You obviously have a passion for the heating and cooling industry that can be seen in your comments and replies. I have a lot of respect for this. Please don't take any of this personal. For the benefit of others that might be reading this thread I will point out a few things that are not quite correct in your last reply. If you would like examples or references I can supply, but will not add at this time in what might a feeble attempt on my part to keep this as short as possible.

“Statistics do not lie ( these are provided by the manufacturer to us about the failures)”

Ok, one reference on your statement: How to Lie With Statistics

“Manufactures do much R+D and we are just one little university that gets paid to do research.”

Ok, from this, (correct me if my assumption is wrong,) I gather you are in the education end of the industry. In my opinion the manufactures are not paying you enough for R&D. Who picks the projects, you or the manufactures?

"Qualifications are simple. Get to a qualified school approved by the furnace manufacturer and become certified to work on there equipment."

Does this insure the individual will do a good job? What type of accountability is there?

“The homebuild aircraft are very simple my brother in law has one.”

Good for your brother-in-law. Did he build it? When you say, “aircraft are very simple”, in comparison to what, a furnace?

“The FAA only allows homebuild aircraft to fly under certain circumstances and you are not allowed to carry passengers.”

If the plane is equipped to carry passengers they most certainly may carry passengers. The aircraft is allowed to fly anywhere a production aircraft can fly, even at night. One of the only exceptions is the sport category.

The reason for the original post was the point that anyone with basic mechanical skills, given the right documentation and tools could successfully build an airplane. In my opinion this is by far more complex then any residential heating system. The fact that companies refuse to offer the information is nothing more then a poor attempt to control the market. I believe this control attempt will result in hurting the industry you care so much for and will no doubt cause a loss of jobs here in the US. We are in a global market place. Past market control tactics don't work in this type of environment. The US had the niche in technologies, but we are losing ground. If the US heating and cooling industry doesn't step up and correct the lack of meeting my, as you put it, “over expectation” I can guaranty someone in the global market will.

Don't get me wrong on my intent to point this out. I have a great passion for the HVAC industry, maybe even as much as you. I get very upset when someone tells me that we can't do better, it is just the way it is, it will cost too much, it won't work, and so-on. These are nothing more then excuses and cause development work to be anything but development.

“You sound like a guy that would try and repair his air bag module in his car to save a few $$ not knowing until the wreck if it really works or not.“

This sounds to me like you are trying to slam my intelligence. I wouldn't do that to you or anyone else on this forum. Fact of the matter mentioned, yes, I could replace an air bag module with the right documentation and tools and I would have confidents it would work as designed.

“Every time a furnace lites there is a controlled explosion and subsequent expansion of metals.”

I'm not real sure what your point is here. It sounds like scare tactics coming from a manufacturer. I don't by it. I'm not sure what heating systems you are referring to, but all that I've ever seen for residential use have a controlled burn. The term “controlled explosion” doesn't fit in my opinion. Do a Google on the term and you will find things like “fears”, “suspicious packages”, etc.. That's why I call it a scare tactic.

CO poisoning kills many people every year and that is caused by heating equipment most of the time. Part of that reason is because people work on there own equipment or the service man is not educated in proper repair procedures.“

Ok, maybe you can point me on the source of this data other then the manufacture, again, in my opinion, nothing more then a scare tactic.

“These steps are being takes to prevent people from hurting themselves working on equipment they have no business working on”

In whose opinion do people “have no business working on” their purchased equipment? How is your “record of tampering” going to stop people from working on a furnace? How is it going to “prevent people from hurting themselves”? I think you know as well as I this won't stop them and the truth of the matter is to save the manufacturer from, as you put it “frivolous law suits”.

Regards,

Eric D

Feb 14, 2008, 03:14 PM
    [email protected]

Keeping it short. My Goodman needed a control board. I had no spare parts of any kind so was forced to prove the other parts in the furnace were okay. I suspected the control board from the beginning because of the years of working on processor controlled equipment in the field. The basic performace of processor controlled mechanical equipment is always the same anywhere. Logic telling mechanics what to do.
    I put in a new board and the system has operated correctly since then. I had a local heating/cooling co. come in and install the heat exchanger under warranty. It not only had the cracks across the front from screw to screw, but also a 10 inch crack across the unit itself. However, this wasn't the problem. It was replaced because of a possible carbon monoxide problem appearing later.
    Needless to say, I have purchased a few spare parts to keep on hand.
    I'm totally pleased with the response shown in this WEB site. Thanks guys!
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Ok, I feel the need to chime in on this subject now and hopefully put it to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric D
    hvac1000,

You obviously have a passion for the heating and cooling industry that can be seen in your comments and replies. I have a lot of respect for this. Please don’t take any of this personal. For the benefit of others that might be reading this thread I will point out a few things that are not quite correct in your last reply. If you would like examples or references I can supply, but will not add at this time in what might a feeble attempt on my part to keep this as short as possible.

“Statistics do not lie ( these are provided by the manufacturer to us about the failures)”

Yes HVAC1000 is correct, manufacturers do know about their own failure rates and this is how the companies may differ. Some of the manufacturers are more proactive than others, when they see, for example, a pressure swith made in Costa Rica cause alot of nuissances or failures, they send a tech note to all their dealers. They will give those dealers a labor allowance and free part to all those serial numbers affected so we will pull our records and take care of the issue. Others will simply replace the affected part with the exact same part and hope it works untill the warranty expires. I could give plenty of examples, but I'm not going to call out any manufacturers in this post.

Ok, one reference on your statement: How to Lie With Statistics

“Manufactures do much R+D and we are just one little university that gets paid to do research.”

Ok, from this, (correct me if my assumption is wrong,) I gather you are in the education end of the industry. In my opinion the manufactures are not paying you enough for R&D. Who picks the projects, you or the manufactures?

Can they be unbiased either way?

"Qualifications are simple. Get to a qualified school approved by the furnace manufacturer and become certified to work on there equipment."

It depends on where you live. Some counties and states are very difficult to obtain liscensing. For example around here servicemen need 5 years of being a laborer before they can even test. Of those 5 year veterans "with associate degrees in HVAC" roughly 40% fail the test the first time. Other testing agencies such as NATE are also difficult tests, even for those already liscensed. I've been doing this for over 20 years now and I still don't know it all. You think aerodynamics of flight is difficult, well so is proper duct design, static pressures, Manual J and Manual D classes. Supervisor A, supervisor B and commercial liscensing for anything over 20 ton cooling is also difficult. Sit down and figure the heat load and gain of a 6 story all glass exterior building on all 4 faces, it will rattle your brain even with 800 dollar software.

Does this insure the individual will do a good job? What type of accountability is there?

“The homebuild aircraft are very simple my brother in law has one.”

Good for your brother-in-law. Did he build it? When you say, “aircraft are very simple”, in comparison to what, a furnace?

Again, look for companies that do training such as NATE certifications.

“The FAA only allows homebuild aircraft to fly under certain circumstances and you are not allowed to carry passengers.”

If the plane is equipped to carry passengers they most certainly may carry passengers. The aircraft is allowed to fly anywhere a production aircraft can fly, even at night. One of the only exceptions is the sport category.

The reason for the original post was the point that anyone with basic mechanical skills, given the right documentation and tools could successfully build an airplane. In my opinion this is by far more complex then any residential heating system. The fact that companies refuse to offer the information is nothing more then a poor attempt to control the market. I believe this control attempt will result in hurting the industry you care so much for and will no doubt cause a loss of jobs here in the US. We are in a global market place. Past market control tactics don’t work in this type of environment. The US had the niche in technologies, but we are loosing ground. If the US heating and cooling industry doesn’t step up and correct the lack of meeting my, as you put it, “over expectation” I can guaranty someone in the global market will.

Don’t get me wrong on my intent to point this out. I have a great passion for the HVAC industry, maybe even as much as you. I get very upset when someone tells me that we can’t do better, it is just the way it is, it will cost to much, it won’t work, and so-on. These are nothing more then excuses and cause development work to be anything but development.

“You sound like a guy that would try and repair his air bag module in his car to save a few $$ not knowing until the wreck if it really works or not.“

Note. Find out why Piper went out of business. If my memory serves me right, some moron dissabled a safty device, clearly marked "Do Not Tamper" and crashed. Piper lost the law suit putting them out of business.

This sounds to me like you are trying to slam my intelligence. I wouldn’t do that to you or anyone else on this forum. Fact of the matter mentioned, yes, I could replace an air bag module with the right documentation and tools and I would have confidents it would work as designed.

“Every time a furnace lites there is a controlled explosion and subsequent expansion of metals.”

Fancy terminology but correct. All he is saying is the heat exchanger goes through many cycles of expansion and contraction every day. This is very hard on metals quite often becoming tempered, brittle and prone to cracking. Older furnaces used much heavier gauge heat exchanger walls less prome to crack, further away from the flame and difficult to warm up causing poor efficiencies. And by the way, they cracked also.

I’m not real sure what your point is here. It sounds like scare tactics coming from a manufacturer. I don’t by it. I’m not sure what heating systems you are referring to, but all that I’ve ever seen for residential use have a controlled burn. The term “controlled explosion” doesn’t fit in my opinion. Do a Google on the term and you will find things like “fears”, “suspicious packages”, etc.. That’s why I call it a scare tactic.

CO poisoning kills many people every year and that is caused by heating equipment most of the time. Part of that reason is because people work on there own equipment or the service man is not educated in proper repair procedures.“

True CO kills. I Have met so many people that have been sickened by their furnaces. Call your local hospital and see if anyone is enjoying thier stay in the hyperbaric champer any given winter day.(I think I spelled that correct)

Ok, maybe you can point me on the source of this data other then the manufacture, again, in my opinion, nothing more then a scare tactic.

“These steps are being takes to prevent people from hurting themselves working on equipment they have no business working on”

In whose opinion do people “have no business working on” their purchased equipment? How is your “record of tampering” going to stop people from working on a furnace? How is it going to “prevent people from hurting themselves”? I think you know as well as I this won’t stop them and the truth of the matter is to save the manufacturer from, as you put it “frivolous law suits”.

Regards,

Lastly, manufacturers try hard to keep a good reputation, some more than others. I see some models that are junk but not thier whole product line. Some manufacturers are in class lawsuits at this very moment and won't do anything to correct the problems, others have already changed out thier defective product line.

There are new devices coming down the pipe that will most certainly make equipment more dependable. Such as contacts that open and close at that point of the voltage sine wave where it is 0 volts, so that there is no heat or arching to shorten thier life. Embedded software that can truley make the furnace run at peak efficiency and make your home much more comfortable than the average low boy produced in the 60's. I live within minutes of GE, Regal Beloit, Water Furnace and United Technology and have toured all of thier facilities. I have seen ECM motors in 100% humidity controlled rooms with 50 lb. wieghts hanging off thier shafts and ran for 1000's of hours to test thier durability. These companies have to control thier failures to produce products people can afford to buy. (now everyone knows where I live LOL)

I blame consumers for many of the issues. I lose bids to so called contractors, (working out of thier garage) putting in the cheapest equipment they can buy by only a few hundred dollars. You very often get what you pay for.

The average cost of a furnace is nearly the same today as it was 10 years ago, and yes the new ones are better. The early 80 and 90% furnaces where full of bugs. This was not all the fault of the manufacturers, our government mandated these efficiency laws and the manufacturers had to comply with these laws without tripleing the cost of the equipment.

I hear all kinds of reasons why copper prices are so high, it's simple the new 13 SEER A/C's using 410A is using more, thicker gauge copper to produce. Also a government mandate.

I'll say it one more time then I'm done. Buy from a dealer that has been around for a long time. Buy equipment with the best possible warranties. Look for trucks that have the NATE or other certifications on them. Don't take the low big, get 4 and throw the lowest one out and decide from the other 3.

Happy Valentines Day give your love ones a kiss and stay warm.

Eric D

Feb 14, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Amen
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Wow what a thread! I'm glad you got your problem fixed Eric. We would love to try and help with any future problems. Good luck.

Feb 14, 2008, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Top
    Wow what a thread! I'm glad you got your problem fixed Eric. We would love to try and help with any future problems. Good luck.
    T-Top,

Thanks for the well wish, however, just wanted to point out that bruapp was the individual that was fortunate to fix his furnace on his own. I'm glad as well he has his heat back once again.

There are a lot of nice and informative folks here.

Regards,

Eric D

Feb 16, 2008, 05:57 PM
    For Sherbear for sure!
    I think you just discovered something I did as you and I have (or had) the same identical problem. We never really listened to our furncaces until now. The change in sound you are hearing from your ventor motor (it's the first to start up) will happen when the gas is turned out and lit. It has always been there, believe it. We just never heard it because we weren't looking for it.
    You found the problem. The control board. In processor controlled equipment it can be expected for the control board to fail sometime in the life of the furnace. Enjoy your furnace and let "Ask Me" know if you have any other questions or problems.
    Bappenzel @aol.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace inducer motor [ 5 Answers ]

What are the implications of a furnace inducer motor drawing high Amps?

Inducer motor overheats (carrier brand furnance) [ 10 Answers ]

I replaced my inducer motor on my furnace due to the old one was bounding up. Now the new one runs find in low speed but once the furnace kicks into the second stage the inducer motor shuts down(in high speed) which I believe the thermal overload(built in) opens causing my furnace shut down. When...

Inducer Motor Problems [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Goodman Gas Furnace installed in 1997 and have been experiencing the following problems: The usual run for the furnace has been inducer motor on, ignition (with flames), and then the blower motor comes on. I have been having the inducer motor come on, run for about three minutes,...

Problem with inducer motor which just went out. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, this is my first question on this forum. I hope that some of you can help me out with this query, as I'm literally out in the cold right now. My inducer motor just went out on our central a/c heating unit. It's a York rooftop model. I am wondering if someone could guide me as to...

Inducer motor not functioning consistently [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Carrier 58 RAV downflow furnace. When the thermostat calls for heat the inducer functions inconsistently. Sometimes (though rarely) it functions completely normally, and the ignition sequence occurs properly. But most of the time it either cuts off in the middle of the purge period, or...

View more questions Search