Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scouse5 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Commercial Lease
    A partner of the company entered into a lease with a tenant. The company name does not appear on the lease, but the word 'landlord' is used. The partner has sinced died. Is the commercial lease still valid/enforcable?

Any help is appreciated.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Hello Scouse:

In my view, whether the company name is on the lease, or not, isn't the issue. The question is whether the partner had to authority to enter into the contract. If he did, then the lease is valid. If he didn't, then it isn't. Whether he died or not isn't an issue either.

Certainly, the lease is made out between the tenant and somebody. Whose name is it? Hopefully it say's more than “landlord”. If it only say's landlord, then the lease isn't valid. Do you have an address where the rent is to be sent? What address is that? His home or the company address?

excon
    Scouse5 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 09:04 AM
    excon

Cheers for reply

Monies are paid directly into company's bank account. Always have been - before and after the death of the partner.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Hello again, Scouse:

That's a pretty good indication that the company went along with it. If it was good enough for them when he was alive, it's good enough for them when he's dead.

Of course, the devil is in the details. Commercial leases are way different than landlord/tenant law. Read the lease well. If they're trying to put you out based on the issues you raised, you need to see an attorney.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

Lease Termination Question (NJ) - 3 Room-mates on Lease , 1 Is not sure of moving out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are three room-mates sharing a apartment and the lease expires Jan 31,2007. We got a notice to renew the lease last month and need to respond by the 21st of December (this month). Me and one of my other roomie wants to move out and the third roomie is still not sure of moving out. ...

View more questions Search