Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Nov 15, 2004, 11:48 PM
    Compaq Deskpro w/Win98-will I have problems?
    My sis just gave me a Compaq Deskpro (used) for an early xmas gift. Have Win98 on it. Will I run into problems with this computer and if so, what should I be aware of. Also does anyone know where I can buy/find an owners manual?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Nov 16, 2004, 12:18 AM
    What model is it?

I have a Compaq Deskpro, somewhere (I forget where) :). It also shipped with windows 98.

If it is similar to the piece of junk I have, then one thing to look out for is that Compaq cut a few corners and uses a small partition on the hard drive to modify the CMOS setup. So if you delete the partition table, you won't be able to get into the BIOS.

Hopefully this issue does not exist in newer deskpros.

Have fun,
    ~psi42
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Nov 16, 2004, 05:01 AM
    There is no real reason to get more in trouble with WIN98 than with another OS. Some applications need at least WIN98SE though.
    WIN98 was fairly stable, in particular on preloaded systems.
    Manuals can be downloaded from HP's (HP took over part of Compaq's business) site:
    http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Nov 16, 2004, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by urmod4u
    There is no real reason to get more in trouble with WIN98 than with another OS. Some applications need at least WIN98SE though.
    WIN98 was fairly stable, in particular on preloaded systems.
    Manuals can be downloaded from HP's (HP took over part of Compaq's business) site:
    http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
    I wasn't worried about win98 problems-I just wanted to find out what other people that have a Compaq have gone through as far as any trouble w/the computer-not the os. But thanks for your reply-will go to the site & see if they have a manual.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unable to log in win98-want to reboot [ 6 Answers ]

I have a problem with windows explorer: if I log on, even in safe mode I get an error message. ("this program has encountered an error and needs to be shut down"). When I click 'close' the same message just comes back over and over I tried setting the cd-rom as the primary drive and using the...

How using win98 with win2000 together [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.I already have win98 in my computer and I want to download windows 2000 beside win98 cause there is some software and hardware does not work with win98 any more , I want to keep win98 in my computer so please can anybody tell me how excately download windows 2000 with my previous downloaded win...

Win98 [ 20 Answers ]

Could any body tell me how to reload windows: while trying to load driver from operating disk I had a problem and lost all my files due to damage on disk, know have new disk, but when I switch on computer I automatically go on to page showing options such as safe mode, command prompt etc.I have...

Compaq Deskpro Line input. [ 1 Answers ]

I wish to input tape recorded (reel to reel) stereo music into my Compaq Deskpro but can only get one channel in via the mic input. There are two 3m jacks at the back, one of which works fine as an out to my speakers. I asssume the other is "in" but it doesn't produce a sound when I plug in my...

How to connect a laptop with xp with a PC win98 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a laptop with winxp and another computer with win98 , I have no network card nor a usb cable , I would like to know how to connect them using a serial or parallel cable, Thanks in ahead ;) Basim

View more questions Search