Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cisco1999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 01:26 AM
    Removal of second sig. from car loan
    Have a friend who purchased a car in her name and her boyfriend's name. She is
    Listed as the primary signer. She hasn't had the car very long and the relationship
    Between the two has ended. She would like to sell the car but needs his signature
    To complete the sale. He is currently incarcerated and has never helped pay for a
    Dime of the car. What are her options? Can she re-finance the car? Can the DMV
    Do anything? How can she drop his name off the loan so that she can sell the
    Car?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2007, 06:32 AM
    Hello cisco:

She can't drop his name off the loan because the bank wants to be able to go after him if she defaults. She CAN refinance to get his name off the loan, but his name is still going to be on the title, and he still owns half the car.

They DO get mail in the joint, you know... She should send him the title for his signature. If he doesn't want to give up his half, then she shouldn't have given him half in the first place. She can't MAKE him give it up.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2007, 07:19 AM
    I'm wondering exactly why she needs his sig to complete the deal. If he is only signed on the loan, then she shouldn't need his sig to pay off the loan. However, if his name is on the title, then she will need it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Car Loan [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I Recently Purchased A Used Car, I Owe About 5000 Dollars More Than The Car Is Worth. I Recently Lost My Job. If They Reposses The Car Will I Have To Pay The Difference Or Will That Cancel The Loan Altogether

Car Loan [ 2 Answers ]

My son's "car appetite" has become bigger than his paycheck. When he bought the car 18 months ago, he thought the payment vs. income was OK, now he has other priorities (like rent, planning to marry, etc.) and he wishes his car payment wasn't so large. However, the dealer says his "highly...

He kept the car, but the loan he is NOT paying is in my name [ 3 Answers ]

In our divorce agreement, my X kept a car that I was the primary loan-holder on. In the last 6 months he has paid the payment late three times(this month's payment is also late). These late payments are showing up on my credit report and will cause me no end of grief very quickly. Due to an...

View more questions Search