Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plumbbob Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2004, 10:10 PM
    Attic bathroom
    Hi - we want to add a bathroom in our attic, right above existing bathrooms, but can't do 'the right thing' with running a new vent stack line to tie in fixtures below the existing units. My question is:

If we put in this bathroom, which would be wet venting everything, what problems will it cause?

We would likely use this attic bathroom about 40 times per YEAR, and would go back in about 2-3 years to 'fix' the DWV lines when we redo the existing bathrooms.

Thanks, Matt
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 16, 2004, 06:52 AM
    Attic bathroom
    Good morning Matt,

You may install your bath group and keep it legal by discharging the toilet, (3"line) into the existing vent stack and tying in the lavatory (2" line)to the toilet discharge and connecting the shower or tub, (If you plan on one) into the lavatory drain line. You will vent your group by running up from the tee that stubs out the lav and tying it back into the existing stack as a revent, or you may run it out the roof as a separate vent. The tub/shower will be wet vented back through the lav drain line. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Good luck, Tom

Nov 16, 2004, 07:44 AM
    Great news! But do I run into any problems by having the waste from the attic 'run into' the waste lines from the fixtures below it?

I'm just worried that I will create some kind of problem with the lower bathrooms by having the upper bath group drains meet inline. I've tried to make this quick little diagram to show what I mean in case it was not clear.

Thanks again, Matt

| (roof vent)
    |
    | Bath group (attic)
    |-----'
    |
    | Bath group (2nd floor)
    |-----'
    |
    |
    |-----(to sewer line)
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 16, 2004, 10:02 AM
    Attic bathroom
    As long as the bathroom groups are vented the common stack's both acceptable and within code. Just revent the attic group back and you'll be OK. Cheers, Tom

Nov 16, 2004, 11:15 PM
    Okay, now I think I have the right question to ask...

The issue is that the lower bath group will not be really be vented... it would be (wet?) vented up to the attic bath goup (and then out to the roof).

What problems will I cause by not having a proper vent stack for the lower bath group?

Sorry to be dense, you've been nothing but helpful!
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 17, 2004, 08:57 AM
    Lower bath Vent
    You will have to run the lower vent up to 6" over the top of the highest attic fixture and revent back into the attic vent or out of the roof. This is not a wet vent set up. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squirrel in the attic [ 10 Answers ]

There is a baby squirrel up in my folks attic. My mean daddy put poison up there and fortunatly the squirrel did not eat it but dumped the box out the attic window. I heard to use mothballs and vinegar but daddy won't use them for some reason. How do I get this baby out of the attic?

Attic plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Im looking for info on adding a complete bathroom to my attic, my question Is really about the drains, I want to ad a shower, tiolet, sink. There is a bathroom almost directly (about 3ft over ) below where I would like to put this. I was wondering if I can connect to the drains...

Attic venting of bathroom exhaust fan [ 4 Answers ]

Our bathroom has a ceiling light fixture whice I would like to replace with an exhaust fan. I understand the need to vent this out of the attic and to have the duct well insulated to avoid condensation. The problem is access to the outside. We have a roof with four sloping sides, no vertical ends....

Bathroom in Attic [ 1 Answers ]

Im thinking of adding a bathroom to my attic. I would like to know if I need to run new piping from the first floor, I believe this is all under concrete also. Or, can I hook up to the existing piping and vent pipe that is in the attic presently. Please respond ASAP... thank you.

Attic condensation [ 1 Answers ]

I have a feeling I know the answer to my query but I have to ask to be sure. My home is a quad level (tri-level with a full basement) when I was up in the attic over the weekend checking out insulation levels I noticed that on the underside of the north facing roof I had some condensation dripping...

View more questions Search