Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicpat62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2012, 02:09 PM
    House fire tenant negligence?
    Unintentional fire caused by tenant falling asleep after returning home from working night-shift - tenant left electric heater on and accidentally knocked a pillow off the bed and on to the heater. Smoke alarm did not activate until after the fire was put-out from all the ensuing smoke resulting from the fire being doused with water. The smoke alarm fitted by the landlord was not as prescribed in that it was not installed within the required distance from the door of the affected bedroom.
    Is the tenant or landlord liable for the damages caused by the fire?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2012, 02:11 PM
    Tenant... THEY committed negligence.. their actions caused the fire. The smoke alarm didn't spontaniously combust. And it wasn't caused by any defect in the electrical or heating system.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 4, 2012, 03:08 PM
    Where exactly was the smoke alarm? The failure of the alarm did not case the fire, the pillow did that and that was tenant negligence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A landlord lives IN the same apartement that is caught on fire by negligence [ 20 Answers ]

Not sure if I am posting in the right area first of all. A landlord living in the apartment complex he owns and rents attached units out in is smoking in bed and sets the entire complex up in a blaze. Tenets lose EVERYTHING! Can the tenet go after the landlord for careless or negligence? She...

Tenant fraud and negligence [ 11 Answers ]

:confused: I'm in the state of Florida. I have a tenant who falsely filled out the lease, using someone else's name and information. I have proof of this. He also is subletting the house to people who may or may not be illegal aliens. It is very clear in my lease there is no subletting allowed....

View more questions Search