Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cot427 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Ancestry of Bartges
    Does anybody know the family ancestry of the last name Bartges from West Virginia and Pennsylvania? I'm stuck and I need help
    GeneGenie Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Feb 13, 2007, 04:50 AM
    See here for some good resources, and in the meantime, give a little of what you've got and I'll do some searching too:

Going back, who is the furthest Bartges you have? And for him or her: date of birth, birth location, spouse, and anything else you've got.

I see lots of PA and WV Bartges genealogy out there... give us who you're working on and we'll help you add to it :)
    Sun Bear Woman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 09:32 PM
    Hey from a Pennsylvania Bartges who relocated to the mountains of Western North Carolina. My late grandfather Raymond Bartges, of Martinsburg, near Altoona, did a family genealogy a few decades ago and learned we were French Huganauts who arrived in Canada in the 1600’s. ‘Bartges’ is derived from the French word for “shepherd.”

We trickled down into the states and even established a Bartgesville in Kentucky. I just did a search and found a Bartlesville, KY, which might be what the name evolved in to there. Christopher Bartges was a contemporary of Ben Franklin and attempted to start up a rival publication in Baltimore. Nathanial Bartges and his wife were killed in an Indian raid in Pennsylvania in the 1700s.

The family is full of doctors, attorneys, teachers, college professors, teachers, veterinarians, authors, musicians, engineers, artists – an eclectic and interesting motley crew of personalities and talents.

Hope this helps!
    mroland Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2011, 12:11 AM
    My maternal grandfather's mother was a bartges in Pennsylvania and there is a genealogy that goes back to the 1500's. This may be the same genealogy mentioned above. Not sure if it is on the web yet but I plan on posting it.
    riobhca9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2012, 07:30 PM
    My grandfather (who lived in Oakland, MD) adopted a Nellie Bartges, whose father lived in Pennsylvania, according to records I found. If anyone has seen mention of a Nellie Bartges in your searches, I would love to hear from you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search