Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 3, 2012, 06:20 AM
    My Friend has a Question for You.
    I have a family friend that needs some legal advice. She is in a ,long term relationship with this man up North. She will be 62 and owns a home in Florida. He just found out he has six months to live. He has asked her to marry him. Here are her concerns.

If I would marry him would I upon his death be responsible for the already late state and Fed. Taxes that he is in arrears for? Since these would be before we would marry.

My Social Securety:

Would by marring him stop my getting my SSI that is to start in April a month after I turn 62?

Would his income effect that?

How long would we need to be married for me to receive his SS after his death?

OK, you legal eagles, can any body help my friend? Thanks for any help. PS. This is in Kansas
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 06:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    If I would marry him would I upon his death be responsible for the already late state and Fed. taxes that he is in arrears for? Since these would be before we would marry.
    No. You wouldn't
    OK, you legal eagles, can any body help my friend? Thanks for any help.
    I will leave the SS questions for another legal eagle. :)

Also, you might consider a prenuptual agreement, as well as estate planning. Do you have children or other relatives you would prefer to leave your estate to? Because without an updated will, he would be entitled to a percentage of your estate.

Congratulations, by the way. :)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 02:44 PM
    I have a family friend that needs some legal advice. She is in a ,long term relationship with this man up North. She will be 62 and owns a home in Florida. He just found out he has six months to live. He has asked her to marry him. Here are her concerns.

If I would marry him would I upon his death be responsible for the already late state and Fed. taxes that he is in arrears for? Since these would be before we would marry.

My Social Securety:

Would by marring him stop my getting my SSI that is to start in April a month after I turn 62?

Would his income effect that?

How long would we need to be married for me to receive his SS after his death?

OK, you legal eagles, can any body help my friend? Thanks for any help. PS. This is in Kansas
    In the strictest sense she would not be responsible for them but she may be responsible to pay them from his "estate". Also she would be filing his last tax return. Anything owned can be taken from the return and/or the estate to satisfy the debt. What they can't take is any portion of "her" money. Also the estate could file banckrupcy and eliviate the debt if it were to be bad enough and there was a mass amount of undiscovered debt.

And from the horses mouth to your ears:

How remarriage affects survivors benefits

In general, you cannot receive survivors benefits if you remarry before the age of 60 unless the latter marriage ends, whether by death, divorce, or annulment.

If you remarry after age 60 (50 if disabled), you can still collect benefits on your former spouse's record. When you reach age 62 or older, you may get retirement benefit on the record of your new spouse if they are higher. Your remarriage would have no effect on the benefits being paid to your children.

Ref:
    Get Help With Your Situation
    Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    ... Also the estate could file banckrupcy and eliviate the debt if it were to be bad enough and there was a mass amount of undiscovered debt. ...
    Are you sure? I have practiced bankruptcy, as well as probate, for decades, and have never heard of a decedent's estate filing for bankruptcy protection.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Are you sure? I have practiced bankruptcy, as well as probate, for decades, and have never heard of a decedent's estate filing for bankruptcy protection.
    Maybe I have heard wrong or read it wrong. But an estate can be held separate.

Property of the bankruptcy estate
    Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 07:32 PM
    11 USC § 101. Definitions
    "...
    (41) The term “person” includes individual, partnership, and corporation, ..."

§ 109. Who may be a debtor

"(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, only a person that resides or has a domicile, a place of business, or property in the United States, or a municipality, may be a debtor under this title.
    ..."
    An estate is not a individual, a partnership, or a corporation. Therefore it is not an "individual". Therefore it cannot be a debtor in bankruptcy.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 4, 2012, 08:25 AM
    I wish to thank all the experts that responded to my question. You all have been very helpful. Thank you so much and if you ever have a plumbing problem I'm your guy. Cheers, n Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teenage son lets 19 yr. Old friend drive parents car and the friend wrecks it. [ 5 Answers ]

The 19 yr. old is licensed and has his own insurance. He is at fault in the wreck. One of the passengers in the other vehicle conveniently discovers neck pain when the police arrive. How much liability will the parents insurance company have toward vehicle repair and who is responsible for the...

The same question always for mens my g/friend get a baby and she say the baby for me [ 2 Answers ]

So just I want to know *** what can ido to know if the baby tru for me or no because my mind always thinking about this subject but the problem he not lok like me even so help me ***

Question from a christian friend and I want a logic answer for him [ 0 Answers ]

Surah 2:106 - "Whatever communications We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, We bring one better than it or like it. Do you not know that Allah has power over all things?" Surah 6:115 - "And the word of your Lord has been accomplished truly and justly; there is none who can change His words, and...

Question for a friend [ 1 Answers ]

Heyy I decided to ask this question about my friends situation because I really was wondering what other people thought. I am going through a similar experience as most of you know so I know only my point of view- I'm just wondering what other feedback I can get for her... here goes... My...

Question for wildcat about the 'friend zone' [ 6 Answers ]

Wildcat you always talk about not getting into the friend zone after a girl breaks up with you. However, in order to have any chance of getting her back you must be in her company so how is this achieved without getting oneself into the friend zone?

View more questions Search