Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grantieb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2012, 03:07 AM
    My 2 1/2 yr old boy Oliver won't talk
    Hi. Oliver is now 2 1/2 and we have quite a few friends with similar aged babies who are all speaking really well. His hearing is fine and he understands what we say but apart from "elo" for hello "bye" "mama" (which he calls me and his mum, although dada was his first words he never says it now) and then a few sounds like "what's that". He even used to say "tar" as thank you but doesn't anymore. We also have a 5 month baby girl Heidi and he has been fine with her and he has been at nursery around other kids since he was nine months. Me and my partner are now very worried about his behaviour and lack of speech. He loves arranging things and watching Disney DVD's and diving on me for fun but as soon as I try him with a book he either quickly turns the pages or shouts "no". Any advice would be appreciated thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 2, 2012, 04:42 AM
    There are countless very bright and accomplished people who didn't talk on the usual schedule, some waiting until as late as 5.
    On the other hand there could be a cause for concern, and you just don't know until you have him tested by a speech pathologist. That person can look for physical problems like the palate or other mouth development that is hampering the ability to speak, as well as test reactions and motions and what he will/can say.
    Even testing isn't always correct with a diagnosis, but you should have it done.
    mandy2238 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2012, 05:14 PM
    People diagnose kids now and go nuts over speech when 10% of boys talk late. Smarter boys seem to exhibit this profile commonly. The problem is AGE. You can't read to all 2 year old boys. You might want to try to find a high interest book with flaps, most boys can't resist that, lift the flap. Meet him where he is at and have fun. Repeat words often in a meaningful context. Good luck! Enjoy your son!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I talk to my ex boy friend to try to be friends? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 16 me and my ex have just recently broke up, and we haven't talked in a few weeks. He said we probably shouldn't be friends, and I agreed with him, because at that time, I was emotionally distressed, and kept begging him to talk to me. And now I have accepted that we have broken, and have...

Asian girl is can't talk playing arcade machine and a boy approaches [ 1 Answers ]

Asian girl is playing arcade machine and a boy approaches her to talk she turns around and when he starts speaking she makes it clear to him that she can't talk the boy looks confused and I think starts laughing with his friends then she goes to the toilet and is followed by her friend

How to train 20 months boy to talk? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am having 20 months old son. He is not talking but he can able to understand what we are talking. He is answering our questions by some actions and various sounds.I don't know how to train him to talk.Give me some ideas. Meenasuresh.

My 2 and a half year old boy does not talk. [ 1 Answers ]

My 2 years 4 months old son does not talk,have heard him saying mama,nana but he says it like that not to me.For the past 4 months I have put him in early intervention speech therapy program but since then he has shown slight improvement.They are teaching him sign language in which he gets confused...

I have this friends that a boy and we always talk but I never know what to say [ 4 Answers ]

My friend that I have just met is very nice and every day that I am on the phone with him I never know what to say he always ask me why I never talk and its because I never really know what to say to him I wanted to know how to start a good conversation with my friend or what question to ask he...

View more questions Search