Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    victor320 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Don't get paid for over time
    Hey well I just started this new job in a restaurant and I worked 12 hr. on my first day and only got a 10 min. break, they don't pay over time, and when they pay you they give you half cash and half in a check I guess its so nobody would know that they're not paying us over time. We do everything from washing dishes to cooking, and still win minimum wage.I've also I've noticed that the food they cook is not even washed, its just cleaned with a piece of napkin. Im pretty sure this isn't legal. What can I do about this? Can I sue them?
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Feb 12, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Assuming you're in the US, and some state laws are different:

Overtime isn't based on daily hours, it's based on weekly. You should be paid overtime for anything over 40 hours in a week.

Minimum wage is what you agreed to when you started working. It doesn't matter what you do... you could be doing brain surgery for minimum wage if that's what was agreed on beforehand.

Restaurants are exempt from the (federal) laws requiring breaks... something about the nature of the work.

Call the health department on the food issues. That's probably enough to get the place shut down.
    victor320 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by victor320
    hey well i just started this new job in a restaurant and i worked 12 hr. on my first day and only got a 10 min. break, they don't pay over time, and when they pay you they give you half cash and half in a check i guess its so nobody would know that they're not paying us over time. We do everything from washing dishes to cooking, and still win minimum wage.I've also I've noticed that the food they cook is not even washed, its just cleaned with a piece of napkin. Im pretty sure this isn't legal. what can I do about this? Can I sue them?
    Well they told me to work 6 days a week 12hrs a day. Just in one week it will be 32 hrs of over time

Feb 12, 2007, 05:18 PM
    Yeah, you should be getting overtime for those 32 hours. You may have cause to sue, but the most you're entitled to will be the remainder of what you should be getting paid. You'll spend more time and effort than it's worth, especially since you've just started the job.

Quit, get a new job at a reputable place, and call the health department for the food issues.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Well of course paying 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in check is illegal, and if you don't report your total earnings to the IRS you are cheating the IRS also.

So basically not only are they breaking the law but if you don't report those wages and pay tax onthem you are also.

So you don't sue ( why does everyone want to sue everyone) but you report them to the Dept of Labor in your state.

As for health regulations, you turn them over to the dept of health.

Feb 12, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Well of course paying 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in check is illegal, and if you don't report your total earnings to the IRS you are cheating the IRS also.
    Have to spread it around, but yeah, that's almost certainly illegal (it's possible to pay in cash legally, but it has to be accounted for in writing for your records, taxes have to be withheld on it, and it's extremely fishy even when done correctly... reputable places may be able to cash your check, but they still issue the check for you first)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dark brown lines going across my screen from time to time [ 10 Answers ]

I have a problem with my computer monitor, I have these brown horizontal lines that go across my screen sometimes (REALLY ANNOYING). I just replaced the video card so its not that, also if I hit the side of the monitor the lines go away:p Just wondering if there's anything I can do that can fix it!...

Getting paid! [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, I have a simple question. I had to go to court (long story) and won about $3000 but that was a few years ago. Of course I have not seen any of it... what can I do? I don't know how to go about garnishing wages, and have since moved to a new state... any thought?

Computer won't start up first time, but will second time [ 8 Answers ]

So this is a completely different computer first off. When I press the power button, everything powers up, but the computer does not post, or beep. If you leave the computer on for like 10 seconds, turn it off, and then turn it immediately back on, it turns on, posts, beeps, boots into Windows...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

View more questions Search