Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2012, 03:30 PM
    Hepatitis b
    I'm sort of freaking out here right now. I checked my mail today and there was an envelope from a medical office I didn't recognize addressed to me. When I opened it it was actually a letter addressed to my ex-boyfriend with recent test results of his. Everything was negative except for the "Hep B Sur Ab" test, that was positive. I got a hold of him to ask him what it was all about and he wasn't sure- he's out of the country. I guess he got tested just before he left town and hadn't even seen the results himself yet. I called my doctor but her office is closed for the holiday.

He admitted today that for an entire year+ he was cheating on me with men. He swears he was tested regularly and everything was always clean. He thinks he picked up something over the summer from a girl he hooked up with (we'd broken up a few months before that).

Is there anyway to know what that test result means before I'm able to see my doctor? Or do I just have to wait until I hear back from her? I haven't had any symptoms but I read online that not everyone exhibits symptoms.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2012, 03:32 PM
    There are all sorts of sites - here's one: Hepatitis virus panel: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Would I call my Doctor? Yes, as soon as her office opens.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2012, 03:33 PM
    He most likely was tested, and had to provide them a list of people he had sex with. That way the doctor office was required to notify you.

Yes you need to get tested right away. If you are positive anyone you had sex with will need to be notified.
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2012, 03:40 PM
    Even though the office is closed I did leave a message for my doctor, hopefully I hear back tomorrow.

I'm just literally feeling sick with worry trying to comprehend all of this. The paper I got from his doctor explains the test that was positive as "tests for immunity to viral infection of the liver." And from what I read from that link you posted, it looks like it's for antibodies and if it's positive it either means you've recovered from an infection or had a vaccination (I know it's one of the recommended vaccinations for babies and I'm almost positive I was vaccinated and I would guess he would have been too but I'm not sure). I guess I'm just hoping for a little peace of mind while I wait to talk with my doctor.
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2012, 03:58 PM
    My ex just called me back. He was able to get a hold of his doctor. Turns out all the positive test means is that he tested positive for being immune to hep b. He swears his doctor assured him he is healthy and free of any infectious diseases. I'll still be getting myself tested asap just to play it safe (he lied about us having a monogamous relationship for I don't even know how long, who knows what else he's lied about).

Thanks for the support and speedy responses though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it true chronic viral hepatitis can occur with hepatitis A [ 0 Answers ]

Is it true chronic viral hepatitis can occur with hepatitis A

Hepatitis B [ 1 Answers ]

I went to a GP and after being sick and he told me I have Hepatitis B. He said to me to lay of the junkfood, sweets and salty food. So am I in the deep sh*t by that Hepatitis B?

How many hepatitis viruses can give rise to hepatitis [ 2 Answers ]

I need to find answer for preparation my exam. Thanks in advance for all answers.

Hepatitis B [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter 22 y/o has a Hep B with very high level of virus. She can't work, feels fatique, weakness, pain in joints & etc... She needs a treatment,blood test every 3 mo, and liver ultrasound.I'm a disable and very worry about her health.We applied for Medical but get denial... Now we are waiting...

Hepatitis C [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am new to this site hello to all and I hope you are well. I was diagnosed as having had chronic liver failure in November 2008 and was released a week later with no further treatment, I talked with a nurse yesterday and she stated that I have Hepatitis C and that it is contagious and also...

View more questions Search