Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amykitty1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2012, 10:25 AM
    AP Statistics
    The probability that a child will have a problem with alcohol is .75 if at least one of the parents is an alcoholic and .05 if neither parent is an alcoholic. In a recent study of a large number of children, 5% of the children involved had at least one parent who is an alcoholic. If a child in this study has an alcohol-related problem, what is the probability that at least one of the parents of the child is an alcoholic?
    corrigan Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Jan 2, 2012, 12:36 AM
    Statistics isn't my specialty, so I apologize in advance if I get the terms wrong.

What you need to do is find out how many children in the study have an alcohol related issue and have one alcoholic parent and divide it by the number of total children that have an alcohol related issue. So .75 of five percent is or 3.57% have an alcohol related issue and have one alcoholic parent. The number of children that have an alcohol related issue and neither parent is an alcoholic is .05 of 95% or 4.75%. So the total number of children with alcohol related issues is or 8.32%. So the probability that a child in the study with alcohol related issues will have one parent that is an alcoholic is . When I say the number of children, I don't technically mean the number of children, I mean the proportion to the whole provided a sufficiently large sample space.

I hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statistics [ 1 Answers ]

A sample of n = 8 Olympic marksmen fire a serious of rounds while a researcher records heartbeats. For each marksman, the total score is recorded for shots fired during heartbeats and for shots fired between heartbeats. Do these data indicate a significant difference? Test with α = .05....

Statistics [ 1 Answers ]

Suppose that the sales manager of a large automotive parts distributor wants to estimate as early as April the total annual sales of a region. On the basis of regional sales, the total sales for the company can also be estimated. If, based on past experience, it is found that the April estimates of...

Statistics [ 1 Answers ]

In analysis of variance, the assumption of normality, constant variance and independence are usually made, why?

Statistics [ 1 Answers ]

The distribution for scores of a particular IQ test for adults is approximately normal with mean 100 and standard deviation 15. Given that the probability of IQ less than 106 is 0.6554, find the probability that at least 5 out of a randomly selected groups of 12 adults will have IQ less than 106.

Statistics [ 1 Answers ]

12) A metropolitan bus system sampler's rider counts on one of its express commuter routes for a week. Use the following data to establish whether rider ship is evenly balanced by day of the week. Let = 0.05. Day Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Rider 10 34 21 57 ...

View more questions Search