Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bullpitman2005 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2012, 05:01 AM
    Briggs stratton motor
    Briggs and stratton 18hp motor won't start, soleniod clicks - starter motor engages flywheel but barely turns motor - now won't, even when shorted with car battery. Starter will spin strongly and freely when off motor
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2012, 09:20 AM
    Set valves clearance
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Jan 5, 2012, 07:13 AM
    DG is probably right. If the valves are out of adjustment it will have too much compression and keep the motor from turning over. More than likely this is the problem.

Have you removed the spark plugs to make sure that there isn't gas in the cylinders? If the carb is faulty it can leak gas through it and will fill up the cylinder and keep it from turning over too. It is easy to check. Just take out the plug and try to crank it over with the plug out. Make sure you tie the spark plug wire away from the cylinder when you so this. If it spits out gas this is your problem. If not then the valves are probably the issue.

Lastly, the starter could still be the issue. Even though it cranks freely off the motor doesn't mean that it isn't worn out and not able to turn the motor by itself. But my bet is on the valves... Just giving you some more info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5hp briggs and stratton tiller motor need model # or replacement motor [ 3 Answers ]

I have an earthquake tiller model 5020 with a 5hp briggs and stratton motor that I need to replace but I can not find the model of the motor. Does anyone know which motor replaces that motor or do you know the model number of the motor that was used on that tiller?

18.5 Briggs and Stratton motor [ 3 Answers ]

Spark plugs and oil filter

How much oil goes into a briggs and stratton 16 hp motor [ 1 Answers ]

How much oil goes into a briggs and stratton 16 hp motor

12.5 briggs and stratton motor repair [ 2 Answers ]

I have replaced conrod but have stuffed up settings. Do not know correct position of piston related to tapped setting

View more questions Search