Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hal2260 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2011, 10:59 PM
    Does divorce Stipulation mean actual divorce
    On August 2, 2010, a judge signed a Stipulation which stated the marital status was terminated on that date. I recently found out that a written judgement had not been submitted and I was told by my ex's attorney it fell through the cracks and should be completed within 30 days. Since that time, I have been dating someone else and we are planning on getting married. At this point, am I divorced so I can remarry por do I have to wait on the written judgement? This divorce process is within the state of California.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2011, 11:30 PM
    A stipulation is another term for uncontested divorce.

So for the judge to sign it, you and the other party would have had to agree to all terms and both have signed the stupulation prior to filing it with the court.

So one of you should have been at the hearing when the judge signed it?? Or at least your attorney.

SO> did you and the ex fill out and both sign and file it at the court?

Do you have a copy of the unconested divorce signed by the judge ?

Have you checked with the court house to see if it was filed and to get a copy of the motion to see if it was signed.

So your first statement can not be correct, if one was not submitted, so there can not be a signed copy if no copy was ever filed with the court.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 1, 2012, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    ... So your first statement can not be correct, if one was not submitted, so there can not be a signed copy if no copy was ever filed with the court.
    Huh? I don't follow your reasoning, Fr_Chuck.

If the judge in the divorce case signed a stipulation that the parties were divorced as of that date, it is arguable that the OP is no longer married. However it may be that, under California law, a divorce isn't effective until a final judgment (or decree) has been entered. That is the question.

CALIFORNIA FAMILY CODE SECTION 2300 provides as follows:

"2300. The effect of a judgment of dissolution of marriage when it
    becomes final is to restore the parties to the state of unmarried
    persons."
    The stipulation is not a final judgment. You are still married.

Jan 1, 2012, 09:20 AM
    Yes, the ex and I were at the court and she had her attorney and I was alone. The Stipulation was hand written by her attorney and the ex and I went before the Judge who went over the terms to ensure we both understood. This all happened on August 2, 2010. During the second week of September 2010, I receieved a copy of the Stipulation from the Courts that was signed by the Judge. The copy that my ex, Judge and I signed stated the Dissolution granted and Marital Status terminated on 08/02/2010 and Written Judgement To Submitted.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2012, 11:47 AM
    Your one statement was that the judgement was not submitted, which to me means the other attorney never filed the papers with the court. So if the papers were never filed in court, how could the judge sign them?

That was my question.

Did your ex file a motion to contest or to challenge the divorce, But if you filed a non contested divorce and it was signed by the judge, ( I will assume someone filed it with the court after judge signed it ?) In mine I walked it down to the clerk after the judge signed it.

Jan 8, 2012, 10:14 PM
    My ex and I both signed the Stipulation and it was presented to the Judge with both of us plus her attorney present on 8/02/2010. The judge stated to us the marriage was terminated on 8/02/2010 and he also signed the Stipulation and I have my copy of the signed Stipulation.

I checked with the Courts about a month ago and the Clerk I spoke with reviewed the Stipulation and told me I was divorced as of 8/02/2010 but Final Judgement documents are still pending from my ex's attorney.

At this point, all that I have is a signed copy of the Stipulation and the Judgement is still pending. Hope I cleared this up for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One person delays signing divorce stipulation? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I are divorcing, and have agreed to sign an opting-out stipulation, rather than drag this through court. It is dirty because he was very abusive. His attorney insists that I sign first, but my lawyer and I think they are up to something. There is a monetary sum due to me upon...

Divorce stipulation [ 2 Answers ]

I was divorced in 2005 and in my divorce stipulation my exhusband agreed to many things such as getting life insurance policies with my children as beneficiaries and paying for 75% college costs for my daughters. There are many many other issues which he has refused to abide by. If I take him back...

How can I write a Divorce Stipulation. [ 2 Answers ]

My 21 year old U.S.Navy Daughter is trying to do her own divorce (no children involved) and has filed all the beginning papers, had her (soon to be) EX served. He has agreed to not fight anything and just sit back and let her do her all paper-work. Our question is how do we write a stipulation...

Divorce stipulation [ 3 Answers ]

I was divorced in 2004. My ex met other women on the internet and then slept with them. I had all the computer downloads printed out but New York is a 50 -50 state. Fault means nothing. The stipulation reads that he gets 40% of my pension (which will be on goingtill death ) and I get 50% of...

View more questions Search