Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poodlehopper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Thyroid - Hyper or Hypo
    :o I am a 49 yo wf who has been experiencing weight gain, dry skin, joint pain and thinning hair. I have had spinal, hip and hand surgery due to an accident in the last 2 years. Other than that, no other physical trauma or changes in medication.

My physcian order a thyroid panel which came back low as .123, (norm .30-4.0). Based upon that result, she orderd a T3. The T3 was elevated at 2.3 (norm .60-1.8). She stated that I was hyperthyoid and should be losing weight and perhaps have anxiety. My physical symptoms, to me, are of hypothyroid. Both my mother and sister are hypothyroid and taking Synvoid.

Based upon my test results, which am I, hyper or hypo? No treatment options have been offered.

Thank you.

Poodlehopper
    mama713 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Hello. The .123 value-- was that your TSH level? If so, given the fact that your TSH is low and your T3 level is high then you would be classified clinically as having hyperthyroidism. However, your physical symptoms are more consistent with hypothyroidism, but your lab values display that of an overactive thyroid gland... so perhaps there may be "other" issues underlying. Do you know anyone else in your family that has hyperthyroidism? Do you have any other signs or symptoms?
    poodlehopper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mama713
    Hello. The .123 value-- was that your TSH level? If so, given the fact that your TSH is low and your T3 level is high then you would be classified clinically as having hyperthyroidism. However, your physical symptoms are more consistent with hypothyroidism, but your lab values display that of an overactive thyroid gland... so perhaps there may be "other" issues underlying. Do you know anyone else in your family that has hyperthyroidism? Do you have any other signs or symptoms?
    Thank you for your reply. I would have considered myself more hyperactive in the past as I was very active, almost hyperactive, lean and energetic. However, since my injuries, I have been on recent steriod injections, 3x mo, analgesics, pain medications, lyrica, and surgeries. I am now, slower, suffering insomnia, pain, dry skin and hair and significant weight gain. I am scheduled for a thyriod contrast scan in April to determine if the radiologic insults to my neck with treatment and surgery affected my thryoid or determine any other thyriod mysfunction.

My sibling and mother have hypothyroidism with the same symptoms I have. Would my physical symptoms be more more consistent with hypothyriodism? Thank you for your interest and advice.

LK Kerr-Marrs
    Poodlehopper
    mama713 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 10:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by poodlehopper
    :o I am a 49 yo wf who has been experiencing weight gain, dry skin, joint pain and thinning hair. I have had spinal, hip and hand surgery due to an accident in the last 2 years. Other than that, no other physical trauma or changes in medication.

My physcian order a thyroid panel which came back low as .123, (norm .30-4.0). Based upon that result, she orderd a T3. the T3 was elevated at 2.3 (norm .60-1.8). She stated that I was hyperthyoid and should be losing weight and perhaps have anxiety. My physical symptoms, to me, are of hypothyroid. Both my mother and sister are hypothyroid and taking Synvoid.

Based upon my test results, which am I, hyper or hypo? No treatment options have been offered.

Thank you.

Poodlehopper
    In the past, it seems as if you did display some signs of hyperthyroidism. Perhaps now those symptoms may be masked by your surgeries, medications, etc. Hyperthyroidism can cause many signs and symptoms, most of them related to a general upregulation of metabolism. These signs and symptoms include: anxiety, intolerance of heat, weight loss, fine tremor of the hands, palpitations, hyperactive reflexes, etc. Hypothyroidism may display the following: Increased sensitivity to cold, constipation, pale, dry skin, unexplained weight gain, muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness, pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints. However, your weight gain and joint pain (arthalgia) can possibly be due to Lyrica. Weight gain can also just be due to decreased activity since your accident. Insomnia you can usually see with hyperthyroidism, but it could also be due to other issues.

The thyroid scan will hopefully clear things up since there seems to be some overlap of symptoms. I hope you get the answers you are looking for. Best wishes...
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jun 20, 2007, 08:20 AM
    You need to do your bloodwork again.Sometimes medicine will alter your levels.Ask for a second panel,you will not improve till you figure out the problem.I am on natural thyroid pills,and have finally been on the right doseage for 6 weeks.I've lost 10 lbs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hyper-pigmentation that I desperately want to get rid of! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my skin has always been uneven around my mouth and I have dark under eyes so kind of think its hereditary. But then I went to australia and didn't protect myself from the sun and a few months after return I began to experience darker patches around my chin / mouth areas. And each year it...

Hyper pigmentation under my underarms [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: I have been very self conscious about the hyper pigmentation under my underarms for years and I wondered about everything from expensive to inexpensive, I just want to know what would really help me fast and safe. Thanks Oh so much!

Soy and thyroid [ 2 Answers ]

Do soy products interfere with thyroid medication and functioning? If so, did prior use of soy cause irreversible damage?

Thyroid [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you so much for you info on tumor removel , I have one question , My mother inlaw has a tumor on her thyroid non-cancerous type . Im trying to find info on just removeing the tumor none of the lobe or thyroid at all is there a possible surgery out there . Rita J

Thyroid [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question for anybody out there that can help , I have a tumor on my thyroid and they want to remove my whole thyroid it is on my left side , my question is , there a surgery that can remove the tumor but not the whole thyroid. Thank You Rita Litwin

View more questions Search