Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dekey12 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2011, 12:38 AM
    Can DHS keep my case open even though I want it closed?
    I had 1 part time job and was not making enough to support myself. I applied and received food stamps and help with my electric and gas bill. After 4 months I was hired full time at a 2nd job (now I have 2 jobs) I called my case worker and told her the great news! I asked her to please close my case as I no longer need help, she told me that she wouldn't close it until I showed proof of my second job. 2 weeks later I gave her my pay stub. I found out That I am being investigated by dhs! I answered all the questions that the officer asked me while he was at my home. He is now talking to my family and friends as well as my employers. This may cause me to lose my job! Not to mention my ex husband is having his work records subpoenaed! Is this legal? I tried calling dhs but they won't return my calls now.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 31, 2011, 05:00 AM
    What does your case worker SAY? This sounds more like a case of them investigating other undeclared income from your ex. Did you fail to put down alimony or other support from him?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 31, 2011, 07:41 AM
    Yes, if the agency believes that something is wrong, they can keep the case open. So you need to talk to your caseworker and ask what you are being investigated for.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 31, 2011, 07:53 AM
    Is your ex husband currently paying child support? If not then that could be the basis for all of this and they are making sure no fraud has occurred. If they open a case its not your decision to close it.

Dec 31, 2011, 08:56 AM
    I do not get child support and I showed the officer the paper trail regarding the support I do receive.
    current pert

Dec 31, 2011, 09:28 AM
    I just realized that you said DHS won't return your calls. That may be because of the holiday. Try again after the new year. You shouldn't lose your job over this and I hope you are just worried, that it isn't likely to happen unfairly.

I also hope that DHS isn't treating you unfairly. I suppose 'please close my case' is so unusual to them that they might start thinking you were just afraid they were going to find some hidden current or past income, not the new job. That is of course unfair and wrong and I hope you can fix it if it is. You may have to go to the top someday, but it's often fruitless with state agencies.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2011, 09:31 AM
    DHS will most likely start a garnishment of your ex's wages to cover money you were paid, they are able to go after ex if he is not paying you child support.

Next if they think on the application you lied, they can investigate

Dec 31, 2011, 10:00 AM
    I have been leaving voice mail for my case worker as well as the investigator for 2 months! I no longer receive child support because my child is over 18
    current pert

Dec 31, 2011, 10:14 AM
    We are sort of shooting in the dark. We can't tell if you missed reporting something, or said the wrong thing, or got a really lousy suspicious case worker. I'd concentrate on your jobs for now, if you really think they are on the line. Talk to your employers and tell them you have been totally forthright (keep it short) and hope all is OK.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 31, 2011, 10:26 AM
    Please understand that you have given us very little info to go on. You don't say why DHS was involved in the first place. We have to guess at why you were involved and what the situation might be. I'm assuming it was because you applied for Food Stamps and utility help. Was that the only reason?

If they aren't answering your calls, then you make a personal visit. Or try going up the line.

Until you can talk to your caseworker and find out what is going on, there is little more we can do to help.

But I would definitely talk to your employers. Explain to them that you do not know why you are being investigated. That you did have to go to them for temporary help while you were underemployed. But now, you can pay your way and had asked that you case be closed. If you want to avoid a negative reaction you have to be proactive and up front with them.

Jan 15, 2012, 05:16 PM
    I don't think I am leaving anything out. I have no issues with my ex. I was getting help with food and utilities for a few months, but I was looking for additional work the entire time. I had one part time job but it didn't pay enough to cover all my basics. When I landed the second job I wanted my case closed. My case worker did sound suspicious of me as I answered her initial questions back when I first opened the case, but she still approved my request. I did go down to the office after I closed my case but once again no one was able to talk to me. So I dropped off a letter asking that my case be closed ( I left one to my worker and one for the investgator) I never received any cash or rent assistance. At this point I find myself stressed out and I am afraid of being alone in my house. The investigator has parked in front of my house numerous times.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is the charge on my record before the case is closed? [ 3 Answers ]

Is the charge on my record before the case is closed?

Closed case [ 4 Answers ]

If you had a open case and it was closed (closed case) are you still on probation?

How do I get copies of my case files that have been closed [ 1 Answers ]

I was charged with a new crime after my case was closed how do I get records of the case file to show judge the case is closed

Unethical dhs case [ 5 Answers ]

:mad: My case began when my exwife went down to the Oklahoma DHS and filed against me for non support of my daughter. I then ask for a court date in writing. Before I got a court hearing the OKDHS seized my income tax return. My new wife filed an injured spouse form and got 1/2 back. I had my...

A closed case! [ 2 Answers ]

Once a case is closed, is it possible to appeal it even though I signed a waiver basically signing over my rights? I got charged for 6 bad checks I didn't write and how I found out was I got rear ended and the reporting officer said I had a warrant out for my arrest. So after doing the accident...

View more questions Search