Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    axdwdrgc Posts: 86, Reputation: 3

Dec 30, 2011, 11:20 PM
    How can I skip a grade?
    I am enthusiastic about attaining new knowledge in school, but my schools acceleration rate is too slow for me. For example, I can not pay attention in class but still get acceptable, even exceptional grades. On my report cards I have always made high honors (at my school this is making through a whole year without a grade below an A- in any class). I learn new material very fast and thoroughly and I can finish meticulous work in a short amount of time and still get an A. In math I am in the "advanced" class. I put quotations because "advanced" is over exaggerating because all my teacher does is teach us the same material as the lower classes but gives us a little more challenging homework occasionally. We are only considered advanced because in upper school we are eligible to take honors classes. Next year in 7th grade I will be taking pre-algebra advanced and I will have a different textbook then the lower classes. On my ERBs last year and the year before I've scored in the 5 percentile. My question is if I could skip a grade. I believe I'm socially ready to skip a grade because everyone in my class (class of 2018) is very naïve and immature. One of the girls in my class (I go to an all girls school if this helps any) asked the teacher what international meant when we had to read for an online activity. Sometimes their incompetence amuses me. But other times it is utterly annoying because if I use words considered "big" to them I have to explain what it means. I taught myself how to plot complex numbers and the basics of Quantum Physics in one afternoon. But no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get the school to at least put me in accelerated math. Now I'm aiming to skip a grade because I am flying through classes very easily and I am already socially more mature than my grade from what I've observed in myself, but I'm posting this question more from a thumbs up on my academic side of skipping a grade. I want to know peoples opinion before I ask my mother to push for me to skip a grade so... How can I skip a grade?
    PS I'm considering taking pre algebra over the summer so I can take algebra in 7th grade rather than 8th. And if you didn't find out from the paragraph above I am going to 7th grade next year.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 30, 2011, 11:45 PM
    Welcome to my world! I too excelled in everything all through school and high school. I've been a member of Mensa for years. My parents taught me some very important lessons along the way.

1. Don't depend on teachers to teach you everything. Go out of your way to learn beyond the lesson. If the chapter is on WWII, learn on your own everything you can about military uniforms or weaponry or the countries involved and their culture/products/geography. If you are reading an assigned book and have to do a book report, go beyond the normal book report and add a character section, write more about the setting(s), etc. and put it all inside a handsome handmade illustrated folder. In other words, do more than what you are supposed to do. Teach yourself.

2. Know how to always amuse yourself while waiting for someone or something. Make that waiting time a learning time. Observe people, read a book you have with you, create a memory palace in your brain.

3. Above all, be kind and patient with others. Don't brag or gloat or show off or always expect preferential treatment. That lessens you immediately and makes you seem pathetic.

Did I skip grades? Yes, I did in the early years of school, but was able to keep myself so busy later that it didn't matter any longer. And don't forget--you really don't want to be a younger student stuck with older students, but want to stay with those who are your chronological and emotional age, for the most part.

Mar 8, 2012, 11:21 PM
    Can I skip a grade?
    I am enthusiastic about attaining new knowledge in school, but my schools acceleration rate is too slow for me. For example, I can not pay attention in class but still get acceptable, even exceptional grades. On my report cards I have always made high honors (at my school this is making through a whole year without a grade below an A- in any class). I learn new material very fast and thoroughly and I can finish meticulous work in a short amount of time and still get an A. In math I am in the "advanced" class. I put quotations because "advanced" is over exaggerating because all my teacher does is teach us the same material as the lower classes but gives us a little more challenging homework occasionally. We are only considered advanced because in upper school we are eligible to take honors classes. Next year in 7th grade I will be taking pre-algebra advanced and I will have a different textbook then the lower classes. On my ERBs last year and the year before I've scored in the 5 percentile. My question is if I could skip a grade. I believe I'm socially ready to skip a grade because everyone in my class (class of 2018) is very naïve and immature. One of the girls in my class (I go to an all girls school if this helps any) asked the teacher what international meant when we had to read for an online activity. Sometimes their incompetence amuses me. But other times it is utterly annoying because if I use words considered "big" to them I have to explain what it means. I taught myself how to plot complex numbers and the basics of Quantum Physics in one afternoon. But no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get the school to at least put me in accelerated math. Now I'm aiming to skip a grade because I am flying through classes very easily and I am already socially more mature than my grade from what I've observed in myself, but I'm posting this question more from a thumbs up on my academic side of skipping a grade. I want to know peoples opinion before I ask my mother to push for me to skip a grade so... How can I skip a grade?
    PS I'm considering taking pre algebra over the summer so I can take algebra in 7th grade rather than 8th. And if you didn't find out from the paragraph above I am going to 7th grade next year.
    PPS I should have worded it differently so as not to sound so arrogant...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2012, 04:27 AM
    Have you discussed this with your guidance counselor? Each school is different so we really can't answer you, but your counselor can. They can tell you what the requirements are and how to request it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 08:49 AM
    I agree with Scott but it would be rare to skip a grade at your age while remaining in the same school. 7th grade curriculum is different than 6th grade or 8th grade. It is not just a continuation of the materials you study the year before. In my district 7th graders study biology while 8th graders study physical science. If you were to skip 7th grade where/how would you have any understanding of biology? Where do you live and is this a public, private or parochial school?

Mar 9, 2012, 11:30 AM
    I go to a private school. In 7th grade we take pre algebra, 8th grade algebra I, 9th Physics and Algebra II. If I get into the higher level math class at my school then I'll have the option of taking physics in 8th grade rather than in 9th. 7th grade science is earth science and 8th grade science is ecology. If that helps...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2012, 11:42 AM
    My problem with skipping a grade is the level of emotional maturity. One year may matter - or it may not.

I don't know that a classmate's failure to understand something, asking for an explanation, is incompetence.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 11:56 AM
    Beyond second grade, it becomes an academic and social problem if a student skips a grade. At your level, you will miss so much from not being in the classroom and hearing the teacher's lecture on a certain topic, and also suffer from not being involved in classroom discussions.

Whatever do you hope to gain by skipping?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 12:04 PM
    Like I said earlier, skipping a grade would be rare but a private school. Might be more flexible on this tpoic. I don't really see a need for this. You would move yourself from being mature and top of your class to a much lower status. Your new classmates would very likely not be as accepting as you might think. Only your parents should explore this issue with the principal.

Mar 9, 2012, 12:11 PM
    That part wasn't incompetence. It's just annoying during class when we have to use half of the class time to explain what we learned in 2nd grade. We had an international day and they still don't know what the word means. I get what your saying though. The grade above is actually kind of... I don't know how to explain it. All they really focus on is boys from my schools brother school and going out on dates. I couldn't care less about this because what they claim to be boyfriends is just a boy who they talk to a lot and hang out with. They can't really separate a friend who's a boy from a boyfriend. Anyway, I do have some friends in my grade (4) and 3 of them are in a higher level math class then I am but when they talk it just seems like words are just pouring out of their mouths. For example, I was talking about Politics and one of them just jumped in talking about random stuff about teachers ( I was talking about health care, and who I think would best be fit to be president)and stating a bunch of false facts that she claimed she knew when she never listens to the radio or watches TV. I really don't know what to do. Maybe I'll just take some CTY online courses. I did already qualify. Does that sound like a good idea?

Mar 9, 2012, 12:14 PM
    I have very few friends already so it wouldn't be that much of a difference from now anyway. I also have some friends in that grade already.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2012, 12:27 PM
    I realize you think you are ready to move on. I'm not discouraging you nor am I picking on you but your post is full of errors in punctuation.

Maybe these errors won't matter where you are today. They will matter if you skip a grade.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 01:05 PM
    I skipped grades in school and later was very sorry I had. My teachers and parents thought it was a good idea, but the social part of it took a real toll on me. Instead of being the oldest kid in class, I became the youngest and lost lots of status because of that. Even as the youngest student in the class, I still seemed to be the smartest. Teachers refused to call on me because they knew I knew the answer, and they wanted to challenge the class, not get the right answer all the time. Finally, at the end of a class discussion, if the correct answer or conclusion hadn't been given, the teacher would sigh and finally point at me to answer.

NOT skipping a grade was when I learned the two most valuable lessons: Patience and Humility. I learned to be Socratic in class discussions, and introduce new ideas while challenging old ones--with patience and humility. I was allowed to do peer tutoring as long as I wasn't arrogant--again, patience and humility. Those two lessons have served me well throughout my life.

Why not join a teen branch of Mensa in your area? You'll be able to interact with kids like yourself -- smart, inquisitive, and interested in politics/issues of the day. Ask if you want more info on Mensa or check their web site.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I skip a grade [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the 8th grade I got held back in the 1st grade and I wanted to know what summer stuff I can take to get to my right grade?

Am I prepared to skip a grade? [ 1 Answers ]

I was homeschooled for my 7th grade year, because my middle school wasn't challenging enough. I am now working on my 8th grade courses, but my parents and I agree I am emotionally prepared to skip 8th grade. I have great grades and I don't struggle in my classes. I would be attending a charter high...

Can I skip my child to 6 grade to be in her right grade [ 2 Answers ]

My child work very hard she and the fourth grade need to be and fifth she feeling sad that next year she want be and six grade I do to. Can she go to summer school and skip a grade

How can I skip a grade? [ 3 Answers ]

I really want to skip 8th grade and move on to high school because I am basically the oldest. I flunk 3rd grade but science than my grades have been pretty good except for 1 report card I got a 60 in one class and 70s ,but I ussually get 80s and 90s even 100s. I think I was going through a really...

View more questions Search