Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JiunLing Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2011, 06:52 PM
    Distance and speed
    Please help me to solve the problem. Thanks. Please show me the full solution. Appreciate it a lot. Hereby I attached the question.
    Attached Images

TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Dec 30, 2011, 11:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JiunLing View Post
    Please help me to solve the problem. Thanks. Please show me the full solution. Appreciate it a lot. Hereby I attached the question.

Interesting question. I would also like to know the answer. At first I thought that it was a Pythagorean question. When the rocket is at 300 meters you would be 500 meters from it at that instant. I guess it all depends on what you mean by, 'at that instant'.

Alternatively you would need to come up with an equation involving distance height over distance time.

Tut
    corrigan Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Dec 31, 2011, 10:02 AM
    Tut: it is a pythagorean question, it just also uses calculus.

JuinLing: Okay, first you need the distance as a function of the height of the rocket. That's not to hard, it just uses the pythagorean theorem. Since the derivative is just the instantaneous change, then we're going to take the derivative of the distance (change in distance) in terms of the change in height (which is just the velocity). Then we just plug all our numbers in, and then we'll have the answer.

Let be the distance rom the rocket and let be the height. So the distance in terms of the height is:

Let be the change in distance, and let be the change in height. By applying the chain rule to our distance function we get:

Now all we need to do is plug in and and we're done. So we get:

So our answer is the distance from the rocket is changing at a rate of 360m/s at the instant the rocket is at 300m.

I don't know what level of math you're at, so if my use of the chain rule is a little confusing, please let me know, and I'll do my best to explain it.

I hope this helps :)

Dec 31, 2011, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by corrigan View Post
    Tut: it is a pythagorean question, it just also uses calculus.

JuinLing: Okay, first you need the distance as a function of the height of the rocket. That's not to hard, it just uses the pythagorean theorem. Since the derivative is just the instantaneous change, then we're going to take the derivative of the distance (change in distance) in terms of the change in height (which is just the velocity). Then we just plug all our numbers in, and then we'll have the answer.

Let be the distance rom the rocket and let be the height. So the distance in terms of the height is:

Let be the change in distance, and let be the change in height. By applying the chain rule to our distance function we get:

Now all we need to do is plug in and and we're done. So we get:

So our answer is the distance from the rocket is changing at a rate of 360m/s at the instant the rocket is at 300m.

I don't know what level of math you're at, so if my use of the chain rule is a little confusing, please let me know, and I'll do my best to explain it.

I hope this helps :)

Hi corrigan,

I used H= the square root of d squared + 400 squared

d=600t

= square root of 600 squared t squared +400 squared.

Basically I found the square root of that and got 360 meters per second.

Thanks

Tut

Dec 31, 2011, 10:32 PM
    How to get the formula of the change of D?
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cgi-bin/mimetex.cgi?%20\Delta%20D%20=%20\frac{2H%20\cdot%2 0\Delta%20H%20}{2%20\cdot%20\sqrt{H^2%20+400^2}%20 \cdot

Jan 1, 2012, 05:31 PM
    I got the change in by taking the derivative of . Remember, was simply a function in terms of the height. Perhaps a less confusing way to look at it would be:

(think of as , and as )

All a derivative is is the change in the function relative to the change in the argument (an argument in a function is usually a variable). For example, take the function , then . All this means is that as changes, changes three times as much. Sometimes the change (or derivative) is a function in terms of the variable. Take for example , then . So is a function in terms of , what that means is that the amount that changes depends not only on the change in , but also on the value of at whatever point we are looking at. It's the nuts and bolts of the chain rule that a lot of calculus teachers don't tell there students for a variety of reasons.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. If you need more help, just post it with this question.

Jan 1, 2012, 05:52 PM
    Tut: Sorry, I didn't see your answer before my last post. The answer was right, but the way you got there was imprecise. Your solution implies that the rocket was going at a constant velocity of 600 m/s. When dealing with trajectories there is a lot of different factors, acceleration, drag, initial velocity, etc. all the question gave was the current height and velocity. I don't know JuinLing's level of calculus, so I was trying to give an answer that was as dynamic as possible to help him answer similar questions.

Jan 1, 2012, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by corrigan View Post
    Tut: Sorry, I didn't see your answer before my last post. The answer was right, but the way you got there was imprecise. Your solution implies that the rocket was going at a constant velocity of 600 m/s. When dealing with trajectories there is a lot of different factors, acceleration, drag, initial velocity, etc. all the question gave was the current height and velocity. I don't know JuinLing's level of calculus, so I was trying to give an answer that was as dynamic as possible to help him answer similar questions.

Hi corrigan,

Yes, that is what I assumed. I wasn't really sure about that bit. Thanks for the clarification.

TUt

Jan 3, 2012, 11:37 PM
    Thanks... I get it already... just differentaite the equation... haha^^ I'm blur with my examination.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quadratic speed distance time [ 3 Answers ]

A woman begins jogging at 3pm, running due north at a 6 minute/mile pace. Later she reverses direction and runs due south at a 7 minute/mile pace. If she returns to her starting point at 3:45, find the total number of miles run. I usually make a chart for Speed, Distance, Time problems such as...

How to find average speed with given speed and distance [ 3 Answers ]

Suppose you go 75 mph for 53 miles, 55 mph for 21 miles and 35 mph for 3 miles... what is your average speed?

Speed VS. Stopping Distance [ 1 Answers ]

-How can investigators use quadratic modeling to determine a car's speed? -What is a car's stopping distance (Reaction distance+Breaking distance) for a car going 70 mph? 100 mph? -Find the speed of a car whose stopping distance is about 250 feet. 135 feet. I need help with these... thanks!

Speed and distance [ 1 Answers ]

A hot air balloon is rising up with a constant speed of 5m/s. When the balloon is 2m above the ground, the balloonist accidentally drops a compass over the side. Question: 1. How much time elapse before it hit the ground? 2. what is it speed before it hit the ground? ...

Distance and Speed calcualtions [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to calculate the speed variables with a given travel arc at differing arm lengths. For example the fixed/known speed is 60 degrees travel is .10 seconds with a 1" arm or pivot point spacing from center, the speed (0.10 seconds) and travel arc (60 degrees) remain a constant. What...

View more questions Search