Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    j9demaine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2011, 11:13 AM
    Fired from work
    Just wanted some advice, basically I was fired from work yesterday due to gross misconduct the reason beingI never went into work last Saturday as was feeling unwell, I asked a friend to ring in for me. I spent the day in bed and started to feel better in the evening so I went on a night out with friends. One of these friends posted pictures onto Facebook which my employers have seen. I was just wondering if they had the right to sack me when I didn't actually go out in the hours that I was meant to be working. They said that getting someone else to ring in for me was against company rules even though oter members of staff get away with this
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 11:39 AM
    Having someone ring you in, if you are not even at work, is not only against the rules anywhere, I will assume it is most likely illegal and even a crime in most places. Fraud. In fact you and the friend that rang you in should be fired.

Honestly if you really don't know this is wrong there is a serious ethics issue here in what you were taught growing up.
    ElfGirl777 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 29, 2011, 05:41 PM
    I assume "ringing in for someone" means that they called your work for you to tell them you were sick?? (((?? Think Fr_Chuck thinks it means clocking/signing in?? ))) I think going out after you called in sick gives them every right to fire you.Sorry,but next time stay home.EVEN if you are feeling better later... Good luck finding a new job.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 05:42 PM
    Yes, ring is , at least here is a phrase that means they clocked you in, thus you were being paid and not there.
    j9demaine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2011, 11:13 PM
    Yes I meant that someone called to tell them I was unwell, they didn't clock me in they rung to say I wouldn't be in work. Some other people have told me that it didn't matter that I went out because I went out after the hurs I was meant to be in work, e.g. I was meant to be in work from 12-6 but didn't go out until 10 at night which was out of the hours
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 30, 2011, 07:28 AM
    Most states are at will states, which means you can be fired for any reason or no reason.

I suspect, this was not the only reason, but there were other issues and this was just the proverbial straw. But, in any case, I doubt if there is anything you can do about it.

If you were well enough to call someone to ask them to call the job, why can't you have just called the job directly?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 30, 2011, 07:31 AM
    I have a feeling this person is in the UK, hence the words "ring up" instead of call or phone.

With that said, you were too sick to go to work so you were too sick to party, therefore you lost your job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get fired if I have a Doctors note to be our of work before my baby is due? [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently due in a few weeks. At the last doctors appointment I had my doctor mentioned me leaving work a little early due to the stress at my job not being good for me or the baby (it has been bringing on contractions, and I have been having problems sleeping) and I have been also been having...

Can a person be fired for being to sick to call in to work [ 38 Answers ]

I called in on Tuesday and became so sick I was unable to call in for wed thur fri I received a letter intending to dismiss on sat, On Monday I explained I had become so seriously Ill I was unable to call and was going to need more time to recover I was fired. I was a very good employee for four...

Assaulted at work then fired [ 2 Answers ]

I was sexually assaulted at work by my employers friend, who was there to train me in software use. The man owns/owned his own separate company. He was charged with sexual misconduct, and 3 counts of harassment. I have been having panic attacks and went to the doctor, who took me off work and...

Hurt at work fired hour later for something else [ 3 Answers ]

I have been having major issues with a new boss. Today at work someone mopped out a freezer unknown to me and the floor was a sheet of ice and islipped and my back is in severe pain. While I was filling out my first report of injury my boss came in and fired me for a non related issue can I still...

View more questions Search