Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mycurses Posts: 57, Reputation: 3

Dec 28, 2011, 06:39 PM
    Coughing Fits Are Making Me Worried
    At the end of November, I got what I thought to be a common cold (much to my displeasure, because with me, they stick around for a while, so I expected it to last tntil Christmas). I coughed (pretty normally, for a cold) until mid-December, when me nose ran a bit. My nose cleared up a little less then a week later, but my coughing persisted. It started to get very bad, and soon I was begging to stay home from school. It was a dry, hacking cough and occasionally a bit of phlegm came up. I took some cough medicine regularly for a while, then stopped. The coughing persisted still. It came to a point where I'd have a little coughing fit that would leave me out of breath, but nothing to serious. Eventually, my coughing fits came to a stage where I would cough so hard I would gag, or actually throw up (only a little) and I honest to god could not breathe. I would try, but no air would come into my lungs. This left me panicky and very shaky after, with a sore mid-back (I would tremble and be in a cold sweat after). All this was accompanied by a deep, phlegmy cough that would be interspersed with the fits. I'm really worried, but my mom doesn't think it is serious enough to take to a doctor yet. If anyone could shed a little light on this situation, I'd be greatly appreciative.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2011, 07:57 PM
    Go to the doctor... it might be something... it might be nothing... but you aren't going to find out doing nothing. And nobody here can guess without examining you or running tests.

It can be anything from Bronchitis, to pneumonia, to asthma, allergy to something... even a side effect of medication (I had that with my blood pressure medication after years of no trouble)... even a few things I never mentioned like fluid on the lungs from cardiac problems.

Dec 29, 2011, 10:06 AM
    I really would love to go to the doctor, I operate on the better safe then sorry principle, but until my mom takes me, I really have no other choice
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycurses View Post
    I really would love to go to the doctor, I operate on the better safe then sorry principle, but until my mom takes me, I really have no other choice
    You really need to let her read this then... because sorry to say... nobody can diagnose you without actually seeing you.

People die from walking pneumonia all the time... fine one day... dead the next.

Like I said... it might be nothing... but it might be something... no way to guess exactly what however.

Nothing usually goes away however.

Dec 29, 2011, 11:48 AM
    I will ask her again tonight, and maybe she'll take me to go see a doctor. Thank you though, please don't think any less of her or me. She is a great mother, I wouldn't trade her for the world.
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycurses View Post
    I will ask her again tonight, and maybe she'll take me to go see a doctor. Thank you though, please don't think any less of her or me. She is a great mother, I wouldn't trade her for the world.
    I don't... money is tight for many people... but some things are worth it... if it was only a week or two... I'd agree with her, but well over a month... or even two months... its time to be concerned.

Hope its nothing... but something serious can become something fatal if its ignored long enough. Better safe than sorry. And as much as we would like to be able to say what it is with certainty... we can't without a doctor examining you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bra That Fits [ 4 Answers ]

I currently wear a 40DDD bra, which I know totally doesn't fit me, so I got re-measured and they said I'm a 38I. Ok, they don't sell those in stores, so I searched online for bigger bras and ordered a 38I. It seemed too small, so I ordered a bigger one... too big! :mad: Does anyone have...

Nicotine fits [ 8 Answers ]

Whenever I don't have nicotine in my system before I sleep I wake up having fits ( shaking, difficulty breathing). I have done tests myself with and without nicotine patches... whenever I apply a patch on me I DO NOT have these fits.. when I don't have a patch on I have these fits.. I have done...

Tensions situations in marriage life making me worried [ 2 Answers ]

I appreciate,If any one can give a solution to my problem, I recently got married whom I loved by going against to my parents also, because I thought she only can understand me well other than anyone this world by before marriage expireances, but all of sudden clouds are covered my life due to...

Bedtime Fits [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a daughter that is two years old and she will be three in just three mo. But she is still sleeping in my bed and to be completely honest I never minded it was nice that she wanted to cuddle every night. Now that she is getting older it is getting really hard to be able to to sleep...

Morning coughing fits [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I am a 35 year old male who smokes around 10-15 cigarettes a day. Over the last 3-4 years I used get a coughing fit first thing in the morning, which used last for around 5 minutes, where I used to cough continuously & empty reach, with the odd bit of bile thrown up. After lying down each...

View more questions Search