Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Halitosis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2011, 04:13 PM
    If I have mg/L of Hardness (CaCO3) , can I calculate mg/L of Calcium?
    I have 100 mg/L of CaCO3, can I calculate mg/L of Calcium? If so, what are the steps?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 02:42 AM
    Do you mean calcium ions?

If there are 100 mg of CaCO3 in 1 litre of water, how many moles of CaCO3 are there in the water? Use the relative molecular weight of CaCO3.

When you get this, find the number of moles of Ca ions there would be in the water and multiply that amount of moles by the relative atomic mass of Ca.
    Halitosis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2012, 09:37 AM
    Thanks for your reply. Some friends at a chemistry lab sent me this that walks me through each step:

Total hardness is defined as the sum of the calcium and magnesium cation concentrations, expressed as an equivalent weight of calcium carbonate in mg/L:
    Total Hardness as CaCO3 = (Ca Hardness as CaCO3) + (Mg Hardness as CaCO3)

Ca Hardness as CaCO3 = (concentration of Ca ion) x [(Molar Mass of CaCO3)/ (Molar Mass of Ca)]

(Molar Mass of CaCO3)/ (Molar Mass of Ca) = (40.08 + 12.011 + (3x16)) / (40.08) = 2.497

Therefore,
    Ca Hardness as CaCO3 = (concentration of Ca ion) x (2.497)
    or
    concentration of Ca ion = (Ca Hardness as CaCO3) / 2.497

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I calculate total hardness in ppm CaCO3? [ 5 Answers ]

35.0mL sample of water is titrated with 0.0100M EDTA. Exactly 9.70mL of EDTA are required to reach the EBT endpoint. How can I calculate total hardness in ppm CaCO3? Please Please help, any equation? Thanks

Calculate the ppm CaCO3 hardness of a water sample [ 1 Answers ]

The calcium hardness of a water sample is found by complexation of Ca2+ with excess EDTA and back-titrating the excess with MgCl2. A known amount of EDTA (0.0100 M, 25.00 mL) is added to a 20 mL aliquot of the water sample. (Y is used to symbolise the EDTA molecule) Ca2+(aq) + Y4-(aq) <->...

What is the difference between coated vs. Uncoated Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3)? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between coated vs. uncoated Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3)?

Calcium:can you combined coral calcium and calcium citrate in your diet? [ 1 Answers ]

Is it OK to take both on the same day at different times: coral calcium and calcium citrate?

In the chemical reaction CaCO3=CaO+CO2, if 40.0g of CaCO3 is decomposed, how many gra [ 1 Answers ]

okay, here is the question: in the chemical reaction CaCO3=CaO+CO2, if 40.0g of CaCO3 is decomposed, how many grams of CaO are produced? Also, where did "the rest" of the mass go anyway? I'm kind of confused on this question any leads would help. Thanks.

View more questions Search