Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    latsio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2011, 02:52 AM
    Ring with no gold hallmarks?
    Hi,
    I'm currently looking at selling my ex-fiancee's white gold diamond engagement ring. When I bought the ring it was hallmarked, its 18ct white gold with a 1.34ct diamond, however the hallmark was removed when she had the ring resized (down by one size) at the time this didn't seem to be too much of a problem as clearly there was no intention of selling it in the future (however these things have a habit of changing!). I had the ring valued shortly after it had been downsized and have a valuation certificate stating its grade and weight of gold. I've heard recently that I may not be able to sell the ring without a hallmark and was wondering if this is indeed the case and if so would I be able to have it re-hallmarked, and at what sort of cost? I have a number of interested buyers already and I'm considering just selling knowing that any buyer could easily take the ring to a jeweller's for a very swift authentication.
    Any advice you could give me would be very appreciated thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 28, 2011, 04:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by latsio View Post
    Hi,
    I'm currently looking at selling my ex-fiancee's white gold diamond engagement ring. When I bought the ring it was hallmarked, its 18ct white gold with a 1.34ct diamond, however the hallmark was removed when she had the ring resized (down by one size) at the time this didn't seem to be to much of a problem as clearly there was no intention of selling it in the future (however these things have a habit of changing!). I had the ring valued shortly after it had been downsized and have a valuation certificate stating its grade and weight of gold. I've heard recently that I may not be able to sell the ring without a hallmark and was wondering if this is indeed the case and if so would I be able to have it re-hallmarked, and at what sort of cost?. I have a number of interested buyers already and I'm considering just selling knowing that any buyer could easily take the ring to a jeweller's for a very swift authentication.
    Any advice you could give me would be very appreciated thanks.
    As long as your ring comes with certification of gold weight and diamond authenticity by a reputable jeweller, you should have no problem selling.
    The diamond weight value outweighs the gold content anyway. At times the diamond has the cutter's mark somewhere on the underside which can only be seen by a jeweller, and that, in itself, is a selling feature.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goldish thimble what do hallmarks mean? Is it gold? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I hope someone can help me! I have a goldish thimble that has designs and has markings on outside of thimble. They are - a lion head faceing left, 18 with circle around it, then a crown, and then 11. There also is a spot that has a cursive M and a cursive H .Inside thimble looks like no...

Goldish thimble what do hallmarks mean? Is it gold? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I hope someone can help me! I have a goldish thimble that has designs and has markings on outside of thimble. They are - a lion head faceing left, 18 with circle around it, then a crown, and then 11. There also is a spot that has a cursive M and a cursive H .Inside thimble looks like no...

What does the hallmarks 14k BB on a ring mean [ 0 Answers ]

Have a ring marked with the hallmarks 14k BB what does this mean?

Hallmarks on white gold ring [ 1 Answers ]

Have a white gold ring with JLD a crown ,375 a leopard head and a letter C. Can you please tell me what all these mean, the ring was given to mean so I have no history Thanks Mark

Gold Hallmarks [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a thimble Its gold, it feels like gold, it has hallmarks, But I don't know if its gold, it looks like the letter L, an Anchor, and either another Anchor, or a Lion. Can you tell me if this is gold or gold filled Thanks

View more questions Search