Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    futurewife1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 08:58 PM
    Getting Married and Paying Child Support of my Spouse's child
    Hi, I have a question. My boyfriend and I wants to get married. We live in New York. He has 2 kids. He wasn't married to neither one of his babies mothers. Him and myself are trying to figure out if we do get married would they take out money from my paychecks as well for his child support payments?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 27, 2011, 09:00 PM
    The money will not come out of your paychecks, however if you have a joint bank account the payments can come out of that.

You see, you are not responsible for his children, therefore they will not take your money. He is responsible so it will come out of his checks.
    futurewife1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 09:07 PM
    Thanks. I figured I would ask because my boyfriend is going crazy because one of his kids mother's tries to go after every bit he has. He's scared that marrying me would make me a target for her to come after the money I make.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 28, 2011, 04:34 AM
    As J_9 said, you cannot, personally, be held responsible for the support. In NY I do not believe your income would even be used in the calculation of his support payments. But, if he is in arrears, they could come after joint accounts. So I would keep your savings and checking accounts separate.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 28, 2011, 05:15 AM
    I would also like to add that should he become unemployed the child support is one bill that won't go away. So if your married then that payment has to be top priority.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In Montana (MT) is a spouse required to pay their spouse's child support? [ 1 Answers ]

We live in Montana and my boyfriend has a six year old son. He is part of his life and we see him every chance we get (difficult because he lives on the other side of the state). I just got a job and I want to add my boyfriend to my insurance. To do this we have to claim financial interdependency....

DFS took child away from custodial parent, why am I still paying child support? [ 4 Answers ]

My Ex-wife got arrested along with her boyfriend and my daughter for drugs. DFS removed my 15 yo daughter and placed her in my care, she can't see her mother without supervision. The Ex has a felony charge of child endangerment against her, why am I still paying child support?

Will I be paying child support for a child not mine in marrige? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I be force to pay child support through marrige even if the child is not mine?

How to prove child is emancipated,so I can stop paying child support? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old child who graduated in june08.I was told by judge because of new (mass.)law I have to prove she's emancipated, in order to stop child support.She supposedly lives with her mom .doesnt go to school.I can't find any info,because she's 18(privacy laws).On court order it says I...

Paying Child Support to mom who abandoned child [ 5 Answers ]

I'll try to be brief... My 17 year old daughter chose to live with her mom 100% of the time a year and a half ago. My ex drug me through the court system fighting for an increase in my child suport even though I was still paying her (through automatic deduction from my pay check) for my daughter...

View more questions Search