Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    balidang Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 07:27 PM
    Do you think love is never unconditional?
    Hi guys,do you think love is always conditional?

I think that so because the feeling what we call love is always based on some hidden selfishness. I say "selfishness" we get attracted to someone because someone talks nice to us (condition), they treat us well (condition), someone has good financial stability (condition); someone is an artist, intelligent,funny, physically attractive, confident, innocent, or whatever. All are the conditions. We like that person for these characteristics. It could be a big turn on (in this case it is just a sexual attraction). After we get what we want from that person, we come across someone else who is different and then we would like to try that person. We end up either cheating on our partner or breaking up/divorce saying that love is not there anymore or we got to see other people. We make lame excuses to cover up our reputation even we know somewhere in our hearts that we are self-centered and trying to get what is best for us in the end. I am not talking about any specific gender and neither I am saying that everyone is like that. This is just my own experience and I have found that even the most happiest couples love each other for a reason. If that "reason" must be there for an healthy relationship, then love cannot be unconditional.

Any thoughts?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 09:15 AM
    We do things that make us feel good. Or think it makes us feel good, whatever that is. When it comes to love, we all have our own ideas about it that fit us, be it need, want, or whatever else we come up with. The trick in my own opinion is know what you feel, how YOU define yourself, and how it fits into your own life.

I mean love is not just a thing that's easy to define, but over time, like everything else, it changes, and grows, or fades, and disappears.

Its something that starts with YOU, and best shared with others. So it's a noun, a name of the feelings we have, and develops into a verb, the actions we take because of those feelings.

Conditional? Hey why not. Its easier to love when your having fun, but can you also love on a bad day? Love has to be tested, and survive, to grow, or its just another of many feelings.

Life is better with it though, conditional, or not. Or so we think! I believe the adjustments we are willing to make to keep it, is what defines it as healthy, or not.
    loplop Posts: 51, Reputation: 2

Jan 17, 2012, 11:54 AM
    I think true love is unconditional, since from my experience I haved loved someone and they did not love me and I knew, but still loved them. True love is not about reciprocity , you will always love the one you really love regardless.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 17, 2012, 07:19 PM
    true love is not about reciprocity
    I think true love IS about reciprocity, because we as humans are capable of loving many other humans. And life is much better I think, when someone loves us as much as we love them, and I cannot see a one sided love as being healthy, or as fulfilling, or even fun.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do parents have unconditional love. [ 2 Answers ]

Why do parents have unconditional love for spoiled brats like my older brother. I have to admit that I'm spoiled too, but I don't act like a brat an I rather work for to earn my money. He is 20 years old(soon to be 21), and so disrespectful to everyone in our house, but they still do things for...

What is unconditional love? [ 1 Answers ]

I am asking this not as a parent, but as a child. When I was much younger (5-11 years old), I used to get not-so-good grades, I was a bit chubby too. My mother treated me OK but my father tended to ignore me, or sometimes he'll lecture me to make me improve myself, sometimes he'll even yell at...

Love. Can it be unconditional? [ 11 Answers ]

Does anybody really believe that it is possible? ... those of you who have been married for several years or even in a relationship for a long period... Could you love them regardless.. if they lost their looks in the morning or limbs... would you want them the same? Are most people fickle...

What is your definition of unconditional love? [ 9 Answers ]

What is your definition of unconditional love? Do you believe there really could be a relationship where you could love someone unconditionally, more than you love yourself? What are the limitations? And when do you just say I’ve had enough and walk away from a relationship that is showing signs of...

View more questions Search