Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LISAMAC1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 07:49 AM
    How do I open an account with a stock certificate with a trading company?
    I have 74 shares in oil,it's a 1980 certificate of common stock.scottstrade said that I could open an account with the certificate, how? And just what do they mean?

Dec 27, 2011, 08:00 AM
    I found a stock certificate 7 years ago.
    Issued by cities service company which is know CITGO oil. The owner of these shares is no longer alive, died in 1987. She has no family members I can trace,I don't think they knew about the shares because know ones claimed them in 30 years. A trading company said I could open up an account with them, just what do they mean.

Dec 27, 2011, 11:26 AM
    Found stock certificate
    Found certificate owner of shares is passed on with no family members left certificate issued 1980 , 75 shares of stock to CITGO oil.30 years and no one has claimed it, can I?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 27, 2011, 12:34 PM
    Ignoring for a moment that this is for Citgo (more on that later): presumably the stock certificate was issued with someone's name on it. When that person passsed away his or her estate would have bequeathed it to an heir. And if that person subsequently dies then his or her estate would bequeath it to that person's heir, and so on. So this certificate belongs to whomever is the rightful heir following that chain o finheritance. If you believe you have the right to claim it you should contact the stock registrar and have it resissued in your name - I'm sure they can tell you what documents they require from you to prove you are the rightful owner.

But all this is moot. Since 1990 CitGo has been a wholy owned subsidiary of Petroleus de Venezuela, which is a nationally owned company of the Venezuelan government. Consequently there is no private stock ownership of it any more. At that time (1990) the owner of the stock should have received cash in exchange for the shares. Your stock certificate has no investment value any more.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 27, 2011, 12:41 PM
    A stock brokerage company will let you establish an account by depositing an asset such as cash or a stock ceryficate into an account in your name. You sign the certificate over to them, and they set up your new accont and credit it with the shares you signed over (this is known as owning stock in "street name," as opposed to keeping the physical certificate in your possession). You can do this in person or through the mail - I'm sure Scottrade can walk you through the process. Once the account is established any dividends received from stock you own in the account will be credited to the cash portion of the account, and you can sell the stock, or invest in stock or mutual funds as long as you have a suitable cash balance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to calculate stock in trading account? [ 0 Answers ]

In trading profit and loss account

Closing Stock in Balance Sheet as Well As in Trading Account [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Sir, While finalizing the annual accounts we show the closing stock in our trading account while inventory is the part of current assets so we are also showing the inventory in our balance sheet. But question is that inventory should come only in balance sheet not in trading account...

Closing stock in trading account and balance sheet [ 1 Answers ]

Why Should Closing stock appear in trading account and balance sheet ? Is this the only double entry?

View more questions Search