Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notreally Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 02:52 AM
    Unemployment Compensation
    I was laid off from a position in PA but I now work in NY. Can I claim unemployment from PA while still working in NY?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 27, 2011, 04:15 AM
    No. Once you return to work you can't claim anything. UI is a federal program, only administered by the states. To be able to claim unemployment you must certify that you were ready and able to work during the period. If you have a job you would be perjuring yourself to collect.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2011, 07:54 AM
    IF your earnings are under the allowed. You have to report any earnings you made for the week. If you received any unemployment for a week where you earned money, that is a fraud, If you earned over the amount allowed, not only will will have to repay the unemployment you received but can even be charged with a crime.
    So as soon as you started work in NY, you had to start claiming that income.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 05:55 PM
    Don't even think about trying to collect UE from another state as they will catch you and for each week you claim and collected UE benefits would be one count of fraud.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unemployment compensation and Top Hat nonqualified deferred compensation payments [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently receiving unemployment compensation from the State, my previous employer will begin sending my annual Top Hat nonqualified deferred compensation checks in a few months. They cannot delay this, I've asked. The annual Top Hat check will be equivalent to about 1 years worth of...

Unemployment Compensation Question [ 3 Answers ]

My niece was recently informed that she was going to be laid off from her job in Illinois. The Wednesday before the Friday she was to be laid off she had a verbal confrontation with another employee and decided she had enough so she gathered her things and walked out (quit). Has she jeapordized...

I was getting workmans compensation am I eligible for unemployment benefits [ 2 Answers ]

Am I eligible for unemployment benefits after receiving workman compensations

Unemployment compensation Florida... From W2 to 1099 [ 8 Answers ]

Recently my employer of 3yrs decided to shut down their trucking company and laid off all of their drivers, who were W2'd, but offered me a position in the office working for a different company as a 1099'd truck broker. I will not receive any compensation until I develop my own accounts which...

Unemployment Compensation [ 14 Answers ]

I lost my job 4 months ago. I got tired of sitting at home and took a job which was not categorized as "suitable work". I was trying to make an attempt to start receiving an income. After 4 days on the job, I experienced pain from an injury which did not occur on the job. My doctor provided a...

View more questions Search