Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelcakes22uk Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Nov 14, 2004, 10:29 AM
    2 cats
    I've got 2 cats one is a 2 year old and the mother of the other one that was born in June. Both are female. The mother is VERY laid back and affectionate the youngster is the opposite yet they've always got along, till now.
    I just walked into the kitchen and as usual the young one nudged mum out of the way when I put food down,they both then went into the room,and the mum hissed at the yougster and pawed at her. To my knowledge this is the first time this has happened, is this normal because the youngster isn't a kitten anymore and mum is just showing her who is boss or is this the start of something else?? would appreciate any advice, I do not wish to get rid of the youngster unless it is absoloutly necessary.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2004, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcakes22uk
    ive got 2 cats one is a 2 year old and the mother of the other one that was born in june. both are female. the mother is VERY laid back and affectionate the youngster is the opposite yet theyve always got along, till now.
    i just walked into the kitchen and as usual the young one nudged mum out of the way when i put food down,they both then went into the room,and the mum hissed at the yougster and pawed at her. to my knowledge this is the first time this has happened, is this normal because the youngster isnt a kitten anymore and mum is just showing her who is boss or is this the start of something else???would appreciate any advice, i do not wish to get rid of the youngster unless it is absoloutly necessary.
    Dogs often eventually sort these things out, although 2 females is the most likely combination of dogs to never work. This will bump your question up to where maybe somebody that knows about cats may see it.
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Nov 21, 2004, 03:31 PM
    Hi Angelcakes,

Is the mom spayed? She could be coming in and out of heat which could cause her to be irritable.

As the kitten grows older, the mom will try to push it away for awhile. This is normal. In the wild, they would try to get the young to become independent and go out on their own.

She should eventually calm down and get over it. Or at least learn to live with it.

I had a mom and 6 babies which all went through the same thing.

Hope your situation gets better! :)
    Steevo Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2004, 03:48 AM
    Like koriani says, it's probably the mother trying to make the young one more independent.. like what human parents do when their kids get to be about 20.. ;o)

Steve
    joelsin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2005, 12:02 PM
    2 Male Cats
    I have two male cats, an 8 mt old and a 2 yr old. Both were taken from a shelter and have been living together for 4 months. The younger one will muscle the older cat as it is more aggressive. Both are nutered and seem to get along well with each other. They do play aggressively and tumble and roll during the heat of battle. The older cat is very timid and at times is unapproachable for petting or handling. I wish I could build his confidence and have him be more trusting with me.

Regards,
    Joelin
    Steevo Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2005, 01:25 AM
    Joeslin,

One of my cats was vary wary for about 3 months.. but the thing that seemed to work for us was just to hold out our fingertips to her and say "smell"... she'd have a whiff and we'd leave it at that, as in we'd walk off. I read somewhere that constantly picking up a cat can cause it to not like your presence, so just letting them have a smell is sufficient until they are ready for more, thus the sniff and leave thing.

We did this with both our girls and they still respond but we now get smooches and all manner of love in returnl.

We can now pick them up whenever and they are receptive to us.

Just something you could try if you want.

Steve
    Rina _4 Posts: 182, Reputation: 19

Apr 27, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcakes22uk
    ive got 2 cats one is a 2 year old and the mother of the other one that was born in june. both are female. the mother is VERY laid back and affectionate the youngster is the opposite yet theyve always got along, till now.
    i just walked into the kitchen and as usual the young one nudged mum out of the way when i put food down,they both then went into the room,and the mum hissed at the yougster and pawed at her. to my knowledge this is the first time this has happened, is this normal because the youngster isnt a kitten anymore and mum is just showing her who is boss or is this the start of something else???would appreciate any advice, i do not wish to get rid of the youngster unless it is absoloutly necessary.
    It's normal, because when the kittens are getting older. Some kittens still want to be breast fed so that's one way the mother tries to keep her kittens away. After a while they will not bother the mother any more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many cats do you have? [ 8 Answers ]

We were planning on having 2 kittens but we might go with 3. Is 3 too many? Right now it would just be me, my husband and the cats but we are going to have a baby sometime in the next year too.All the kitties would be inside. What is your experience with numbers of pets? Thanks!

Poorly cats [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have 3 cats and two of them have been unwell since yesterday morning, they aren't feeding properly and are being very lethargic. They are both 4 years old. They had injections that indicated to may have side effects but this was a week ago could this still be related? Thanks.

Cats Eye [ 8 Answers ]

This morning my cat was lying in bed with me. I put her out while my husband was taking a shower because she has a fascination with water she actually loves it... After he was done with his shower he went into the living room to leave for work and my kitten came back in the bedroom with me. I...

Gay Cats! [ 2 Answers ]

Please give me advice and knowledge because I just saw my MALE cats, in a very disqusting posistion! My older cat was on top of my 3 month kitten!! They neuterd! I don't know what to do or think, I can't find aNy decent articles! Please get back to me asap!

Shy Cats [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfriend and her roommate just got two kittens. They are brothers and are about 7 or 8 months old. They were strays, their mother abandoned them at about 2 months and they were picked up at around 5 months. They aren't used to people and they try to hide any time they hear someone coming. The...

View more questions Search