Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Agent0071 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Low pressure/flow well water
    I just bought a new house in CT. It has well water and I have always had city water. The pressure seems real low at some of the faucets- mostly the kitchen sink and tub faucet. The "pump" pressure ranges from 40 to 60 psi. The builder said the well is capable to 10 (gpm?) but the pump is rated for 7 (gpm?). I complaojned about eh pressure and he turned it up a bit, but I notice no difference. He said if he turns it up anymore it could damage the pump. The kitchen sink seems real weak unless you have it on "spray mode". It takes a real long time just to fill the sink to wash the floor or dishes. It almost seems to "Fall out of the faucet in an arc" instead of coming out with force. I also notice it at the tubs. The water only seems to come fill half of the exit nozzle if yoy can picture it, so it takes a long time to fill the tubs. The showers seem OK since they have some restiction to make it come out harder, but still not what I would call great. The bathroom faucets seem are OK. It takes a long time to get to the hot water as well, presumedly because the water is coming out so slow that it takes a while to clear out the line of the cold water already in it.

Any ideas?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 12, 2007, 08:19 AM
    What's the pressure gage on the pump show when it shuts off? If is shows 40 PSI or better then the problem is from the service line through out the house. Is this a brand new house or just new to you? Back to you, Regards, Tom

Feb 12, 2007, 08:23 AM
    It is a brand new construction. It kicks on when it gets down to 40 and shuts off when it get to 60 or so. The water lines are those new flexible plastic hoses (i.e not copper piping) they seem to use in all the new houses.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 12, 2007, 08:45 AM
    When you stop to consider that the average house pressure's 45 PSI then 60 PSI at the pump should give you more then enough house pressure. Call the plumber back. He will have to track the loss of pressure back to the source. Simply raising the pressure won't solve the problem. Good luck, Tom

Feb 12, 2007, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    When you stop to consider that the average house pressure's 45 PSI then 60 PSI at the pump should give you more then enough house pressure. Call the plumber back. He will have to track the loss of pressure back to the source. Simply raising the pressure won't solve the problem. good luck, Tom

Should it "feel" similar to city water? Maybe I am just expecting too much. It is dramaticaly different than my old house which was city water. I do not want to bother them if I am expecting too much. Do you think changing the filter just after the expansion tank will help? Supposedly they changed it just prior to me moving in, but it look pretty dirty.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 12, 2007, 09:34 AM
    "Should it "feel" similar to city water?" In what way? Pressure? Yes it should be no different.
    The filter's a start. As I said this will have to be tracked back to the source. Bypass the filter if possible to check. It might be as simple as changing it. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low Pressure and Low Flow Water Supply [ 4 Answers ]

I recently moved into a house that is about 6 years old. The house sits upon a small hill. The water pressure is 40 psi at the street and the flow rate is 13 gpm. At the house, the pressure is about 30 psi and the flow rate is 3.5 gpm. The house is higher than the street level, but the...

Low water flow from city supply [ 3 Answers ]

I have good water pressure at the inlet from the city supply at 80lb. When I turn on one tap the pressure dropped to 40-60lb. Each additional tap drops another 20lb+. The flow almost slow to a trickle especially the shower when I flush the toilet. I believe my problem is low flow from the city....

New Home with low pressure or flow? [ 9 Answers ]

I have just moved into my new home which was just finished being build 2 weeks ago. The first thing that I noticed about the house is that it has low pressure. First a little information... My new home is located immediately next to a brand new 125 foot water tower that was installed for this...

Low cold water flow/pressure in kitchen sink [ 6 Answers ]

We live on the 6th floor in a 12-story condo building and have always had low cold water flow/pressure in the kitchen sink. The hot water is OK, as is the cold water in the bathrooms. I've adjusted the pressure valve under the sink to get as much flow/pressure as possible, but the stream is barely...

View more questions Search