Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Daryl298 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Permit or No Permit Basement
    I am building a basement, living room, bathroom, office. Nothing really complex, no loadbearing walls. I have a permit. My brother in-law is also building a basement with out a permit.

I will have to pay more taxes when I am done, correct? What is the advangage of getting the permit.
    Nwptsailor Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Feb 13, 2007, 11:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl298
    I am building a basement, living room, bathroom, office. Nothing really complex, no loadbearing walls. I have a permit. My brother in-law is also building a basement with out a permit.

I will have to pay more taxes when I am done, correct? What is the advangage of getting the permit.
    One advantage is , your homeowners insurance will not have an excuse to be voided in the event of a fire
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Feb 14, 2007, 07:00 PM
    Another advantage - part of getting the permit is paying for a building inspector. They will come in at different stages during the construction (you have to book them) and make sure you've done everything correctly.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Another advantage - you do not have to keep looking over your shoulder for the building inspector to make a visit (because you have been reported) and find you in violation(s) of city codes.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Feb 26, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl298

More advantage in listing to sell later. The city recorder's office will wonder why the RE listing does not match the property records. That could be an oops depending where you live and how hard the civic leaders need a pay raise.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 26, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Part of it is the city and/or zoning and building people making him tear the basement out, or perhaps pull their occupacy permit and turn off the power Or at least fine them for not getting a permit.

This is of course assuming they live in a area that has building inspectors and require a permit. ( some areas don't have a place to get a permit from and no inspections)

I have known and even seen on TV where walls have had to be ripped out, and other things, so an inspector can see the work done.

I am surpised the concrete company would delivery without a permit posted
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 19, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Taxes Taxes Taxes, After That They Also Want To Know That The Work Your Doing Is Something You Know How To Do And That Your Not Going To Tear Something Up.
    If You Did The Job With No Permit Most Likely Because Its In The Basement Theyd Never Now. If You Were Doing An Addition And Its Obivious Then Yes Id Get One, Theyd Catch You And Fine You.
    If You Sale Your House One Day And It Differs From The Origial Plans They Could Say Something Then, One Other Thing To Think Of Is Insurance If Something Happens Your Not Going To Be Covered For Improvents Like That.
    Hope This Helps , Nichols Trim And Carpentry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Work permit [ 1 Answers ]

I'm augandan lad with an exceptional ability in football, but I,want to know the soccer credentials an african must have to join any European football team?

When is a permit required? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm located in Montgomery County, MD and am going to be doing some work in the basement. When is a permit required when working on plumbing? I plan on moving the shower drain and vent about a foot, and the toilet drain and vent about 4 inches. Do I even need a permit?

Work permit [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir, Currently I am in the united states from 2004 fall with student visa as a TA and graduate students, my wife came here last year in November with dependent visa.Just before 35 days she gave birth the child in usa. Now I want to know, can I apply for work permit for her and what is the...

Work permit in europe [ 0 Answers ]

Help in identifying the right channel to get work in europe I am into s/w job

Sailing permit for leaving alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ATE, I am a GC holder, but my company is sending me overseas for about one year. As a GC holder, I informed my company of the repercussions it could have on my immigration status. Thus, they paid for the services of an immigration lawyer. He advised to apply for a reentry permit ( form...

View more questions Search