Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danish.ar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2011, 12:22 AM
    The Choosing
    Assalamalaikum
    My name is danish abdur rahman and I have a question that I have been asking myself for a long time
    I'm a muslim by birth and I believe in allah because I was taught to do so and I haven't asked any questions as to why I should, but if I was not a muslim by birth lets say if I was to choose a religion and it came down to islam and christianity how would I choose between the two.
    I was told the difference is that we believe allah is the only god and that jesus is a prophet the christians believe that jesus is the SON of allah. Now both of them are believable actually very beievable.
    How would I choose.

I am waiting for an answer. My e-mail id >email address removed<
    Jazakallah and assalamalikum

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2011, 09:12 PM
    Jesus died and rose again. Muhammad died and stayed dead. That pretty well settles it for me.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Dec 27, 2011, 02:29 PM
    The accuracy of the texts and their antiquity is also another reason that Christianity stands alone
    graceyj20 Posts: 26, Reputation: 10

Dec 30, 2011, 11:01 PM
    What a great question. First I'd like to mention that many Christians believe that Jesus is Gods son and they are two separate individuals. An example of why many Christians believe this can be found at Matthew 1:35 where it notes Jesus was praying by himself early in the morning. If Jesus was God, why would he pray to himself?

More directly to your question, how do you choose; I would suggest that like any major life decision it requires research, time & contemplation. Considered reading the Holy book the Bible for yourself so you may come to your own conclusion. If you do, I'm confident you'll find yourself richly rewarded by Gods wisdom found in his holy book.

Some additional scriptures that you may want to consider are:

Jesus said: “He that has greater affection for father or mother than for me is not worthy of me; and he that has greater affection for son or daughter than for me is not worthy of me.”—Matt. 10:37 (NWT)

“Now fear Jehovah and serve him in faultlessness and in truth, and remove the gods that your forefathers served on the other side of the River and in Egypt, and serve Jehovah.” - Josh. 24:14 (NWT)

I think you may find this article on Jesus interesting as well
    http://www.watchtower.org/e/20110401/article_01.htm
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jan 1, 2012, 08:35 AM
    I'll piggy back on what Dwash and haunting said.

To me the reason Christianity is believable is because of the way in which it is presented.

First, you have a man who claims to be from God teaching others that if they believe in him, they will not perish but have everlasting life. Why would any rational person believe someone on a claim alone? We have men in our age who have claimed such things and have proven to be evil and perverted men. But Jesus backed up his claims by raising a dead person, healing the sick and the lame, restoring sight to the blind, predicting that he would die and that he would be raised from the dead. And the thing of it is that there is countless testimony to these miracles by the disciples, and countless others mentioned in the biblical text. Again, any cook can claim to be the Messiah or Prophet of God... but if he backs it up by performing miracles in the manner of Jesus, you would have to sit up and take notice of that. And that pattern is fairly consistent with prophets in the bible... not always, but most of the time.

So when you compare that to Muhammad who claimed to be God's prophet, you have to judge Jesus and Muhammad against their claims to be sent from God and their actions to back that up.

1) Jesus' birth was punctuated by the star and Maji coming to worship him, and predictions made by angelic creatures concerning his life. Muhammad was born with no prophetic prediction in any scriptures. God was silent to credential Muhammad as the last Prophet after Jesus.

2) Jesus raised Lazarus and Jairus' daughter from the dead. Jesus healed blind Bartimaeus. Two of the many miracles he performed but these people are named as being recipients of Jesus' miracles. Who did Muhammad heal? Who did he raise from the dead? Who raised him from the dead?

3) Jesus' death was an event surrounded by foretelling and amazing activity. He predicted that he would be crucified:

"We are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and the teachers of the law. They will condemn him to death and will turn him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and flogged and crucified. On the third day he will be raised to life!"

On the day of his crucifixion, the earth quaked, the sun was darkened, and the dead rose. Again, many eyewitnesses were present to attest to these miraculous events. But Muhammad's death was in no way spectacular. He was poisoned as far as we know. No resurrection. No attestation from God that Muhammad's life was spent in any way proclaiming the coming Kingdom of God in a manner like Jesus. We would have to ask, if Mohammed was God's last Prophet, what did he add to what Jesus had already said?

All told, Jesus and Muhammad stand in stark contrast to each other. So much so that Muhammad even claims that Jesus was never even crucified.

Sura 4: 156-157
    "156And that they rejected faith, that they uttered against Mary a grave false charge.

157And that they said, We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the apostle of Allah, but they killed him not nor crucified him but so it was made to appear to them and those who differ therein are full of doubts with no knowledge but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not."

If Jesus was never crucified and never raised from the dead, then the entire account told by eyewitnesses throughout the New Testament is a complete lie. Muhammad is calling into question lengthy eyewitness testimony of countless people and proclaiming them liars. And Muhammad is calling Jesus a liar because even through Jesus predicts he would die from crucifixion, Muhammad sees otherwise. Moreover, how could Muhammad, writing several hundred centuries after Jesus lived, know for certainty how Jesus died?

So you can say that they are both believable stories, but given the body of eyewitness testimony to the miracles of Jesus, coupled with his proclamation to be the Messiah, there is a huge disparity between the evidence pointing to Jesus as the true Messiah and Muhammad as God's last Prophet. One claims to be the one to bring eternal life and peace as the only way to God and the other claims that his voice is the one you should listen to... Jesus didn't die, God took him instead (Muhammad).

You be the judge.
    HeadStrongBoy Posts: 351, Reputation: -4

Jan 9, 2012, 01:21 PM
    I don't remember exactly where... but I read that the USA is one of the most religious countries in the world. The writer stated that it was up there right beside India with the number of different sects... in our case, sects of Christianity. So if you have questions about choosing a religion... apparently you've come to the right place.

My opinion is that you should not choose any religion. If you must have a religion... I recommend you stay with what you currently have. I don't care if it's Islam... or any other religion. Furthermore I contend that all the Christian sects available in our time are apostate. That is the gospel they promote is not true to the Bible. Therefore to quit Islam and to select any Christian religion would be a total waste of your spiritual resources. 'nuf said!!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadStrongBoy View Post
    That is the gospel they promote is not true to the Bible.
    Please explain each. What do "they" promote, and what is "true to the Bible"?

(Welcome back.)

Jan 9, 2012, 01:38 PM
    Thanks for the "welcome back."
    Please explain each. What do "they" promote, and what is "true to the Bible"?

I would say that all of them claim that we as individuals can choose to accept or to receive Christ into our hearts, or not. We have the option and the ability to reject the salvation freely offered by JHVH to all. That is what they promote, perhaps with slightly different words. But essentially that's it.

That offer, or that promotion is not accurate. And furthermore it is simply not true. When we follow the Bible's rule of 1 Corinthians 2:13, and other scriptural guidelines we must come to the conclusion that those who are destined for salvation have no choice in the matter. And anyone who has not been predestined for salvation cannot obtain it by any means whatsoever.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 04:05 PM
    all of them claim that we as individuals can choose to accept or to receive Christ into our hearts, or not. We have the option and the ability to reject the salvation freely offered by JHVH to all. That is what they promote, perhaps with slightly different words. But essentially that's it.
    That is not what Martin Luther taught and not what Missouri-Synod Lutherans (and maybe other Lutherans) believe. M-S Lutherans believe an individual can only reject Christ. His "acceptance" of Christ is the Holy Spirit at work in his heart, and not by his own effort.

"I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Ghost has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith;" (Luther's Small Catechism)

Quote Originally Posted by HSB
    those who are destined for salvation have no choice in the matter. And anyone who has not been predestined for salvation cannot obtain it by any means whatsoever.
    Lutherans hold doctrinally to a view of single predestination--desiring to save all fallen human beings, God sent his Son Jesus Christ to atone for the sins of the whole world on the cross. Those God saves have been predestined from eternity in Christ. Those who are condemned are condemned because of their fallen will, their refusal. "You didn't choose God; God chose you."

Jan 9, 2012, 05:04 PM
    I'm not going to get drawn into a debate about the pros and cons of any particular Christian denomination. Though I'm aware of the fact that some are closer to the truth than others. But my point is that they ALL have major doctrinal faults... of one kind or another. And being closer is just not good enough in my book.

The askers original question is my main concern. And my answer stands as originally presented. All religions, I don't care which one, are far enough away from the truth of the Bible to make them totally unacceptable.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 05:09 PM
    they ALL have major doctrinal faults....of one kind or another.
    As does yours. Thus, we have to depend on God's unconditional love for us despite our human condition.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 05:29 PM
    They are only wrong in your mind since you refuse to accept the beliefs. And I am sorry that your view point of the bible verse, taken out of context does not prove they are wrong.

If you refuse to accept it is fine, that is your choice,

Jan 9, 2012, 05:31 PM
    @ Wondergirl

There's only one thing wrong with your last comment. I am not promoting any particular Christian denomination. I have not mentioned Mr. Camping or Family Stations, Inc... until now.

In any case that organization does not have the three elements necessary to qualify it as a church in the Biblical sense. [1] Formal Membership [2] Ordained Ministers [3] Sacraments. All they claim to be is a Bible research and teaching ministry. And I'll admit they have made mistakes. But which organization that teaches the Bible hasn't ?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 05:39 PM
    @ Wondergirl

There's only one thing wrong with your last comment.
    My last comment was, "we have to depend on God's unconditional love for us despite our human condition." There's something wrong with that?

I have said absolutely nothing about Camping or his followers. I disagree with your use of the Corinthians passage.

Jan 9, 2012, 05:43 PM
    Oh... and P.S. Thanks for lowering my Reputation score by one point... whoever is responsible for doing that.

It only confirms my faith that I'm on the correct track. The Bible promises that those who try to stand up for the truth of the Bible will suffer persecution of one kind or another in this world.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 05:45 PM
    I don't give out negative ratings and can't see who gave one to you.

Wow! If negative ratings say someone is on the right track, I must be!

Jan 9, 2012, 05:47 PM
    @ Wondergirl

Here we go again ! What about this...
    As does yours.
    I don't suppose that shot is not yours.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 05:49 PM
    I disagreed with you (as you did with me), but I did not lower your rep points in any way.

Jan 9, 2012, 06:03 PM
    @ danish abdur rahman

So dear sir... as you can see by the open disagreement and apparent backbiting among Christians... it would be quite foolish of you indeed to find in this environment any sensible advice on the proper selection of any Christian religion. QED
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 06:15 PM
    God told us that there will always be those, that attack the true faith, in fact Christians know we are not of this world, but we of heaven and only journey here for now. Christians in fact thrive and grow stronger by attacks, it draws us closer to our faith.

And I disagreed with you, as my right, since I feel your attacks on christian faith on the christianity board has no place here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Name choosing [ 3 Answers ]

I need boys names and girls that would suit a last name Wilkie

Choosing Between Two Guys [ 4 Answers ]

All right, so I've been secretly dating a guy (person A), for a couple of months now and he is a really great, caring, and an honest person. But he has a friend (person B), whom I have been interested in, on and off, before I started dating A. I know that B was already interested in me, and when he...

Choosing what to study [ 1 Answers ]

I finished school in 2007 and I started university in 2008 studying music. I finished with good results, but I hated the institution I was studying at so I transferred to another university. Due to a health condition and financial reasons I couldn't afford to go to that institution so I have just...

Choosing the bridesmaids [ 3 Answers ]

I am having a difficult time choosing my bridesmaids so I'm looking for some advice. My fianc and I decided to have 4 attendants on each side. (I know now days it is common to have uneven numbers but I don't think that will look right for our wedding.) I have chosen my close cousin to be my MOH...

Choosing right company [ 2 Answers ]

I need credit card debt counseling, but there are so many company's, some with very high fees, info on reputable company:confused:

View more questions Search