Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2011, 10:19 PM
    Installing a circuit for electric dryer
    Greetings my fellow diyers.
    Back again. I purchased an electric dryer and I need to run a new circuit for the dryer. Now I've been researching this in past discussions and not sure if I should use the three prong extension cord that came with the dryer or should I purchase a four prong extension cord?
    In the owners manual it says to connect to a 240 vac, 60-hertz, single-phase circuit, fused at 30 amperes. The extension cord reads 30 amp 125/250 on it. So I'm thinking a 30 amp double pole breaker with 8 AWG copper wire. Use black and white for hot wires or all black?
    I just want to double double check before I get started. You know what they say, safety first, then a cold beer. :) So if anyone can help me out I appreciate it. Thank You everyone for your help.

Happy Holidays To All.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2011, 05:11 AM
    Since this will be a new installation, the feeder cable for a dryer must be 4 wire, with black and red for the two hots, and a separate white for neutral, and a bare or green for equipment ground.

A standard dryer usually only requires a 30 amp 120/240 volt circuit, with #10-3 with ground cable, and the 2 pole 30 amp circuit breaker you mention.

The receptacle is a universal manufacturers part number NEMA 14-30R and plug is NEMA 14-30P. Each brand of devices will have their own part number, but will always refer to the NEMA number.

When you connect the 4 wire cord to the dryer terminal strip, be sure that any jumper wire or strap that connect the silver neutral terminal to the frame of the dryer is removed. This will insure that the neutral and equipment ground is isolated.

Connect the green wire of the cord to the green screw you will find at or near the terminal strips. Be sure to refer to the dryers installation manual.

See photos
    Attached Images

Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2011, 07:22 AM
    Davidadrian, I have too disagree, and wonder where you are getting your information from, It is a Beer first, then Safety. Seriously,
    Merry Christmass Everyone.

Dec 25, 2011, 09:19 AM

Okay. My main panel has a neutral buss bar and not a ground buss bar? So do I then connect the ground wire to the neutral buss bar as well?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2011, 09:21 AM
    Your panel must have the Main Breaker in it, like most home panels.

Only in this case will the neutral bar have neutrals and grounds connected together.

Dec 25, 2011, 09:53 AM

Okay then, I have no more questions. Thank you very much tkrussell. Stratmando, thank you for the correction. I will have to try it some day. Wish me luck. :)

Merry Christmas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What size circuit breaker does electric dryer need [ 2 Answers ]

What size does circuit breaker does electric dryer need

What size circuit breaker does electric dryer need [ 0 Answers ]

What size circuit breaker does a electric dyer need

Dining room circuit only works while dryer is running, Dryer doesn't heat up? [ 7 Answers ]

Old house with knob and tube wiring. Dryer has 3wire w/ground. 60 Amp Fuse Box. With the lack of circuits there is a lot of fuses blown. Friend/owner has upped the fuses all to 30 amps and has been warned of the dangers associated. Dining works normally some of te time, but at different periods it...

My electric dryer vent from dryer to wall collects A LOT of water. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an electric dryer which is vented through the attic to the roof. The vent from the dryer outlet to the wall collects a *HUGE-* amount of water resulting in an excessive amount of drying time (if I'm lucky, they finally dry!). When I emptied the vent & rehooked everything up, I noted that...

Installing a frigidaire electric dryer gallery series [ 1 Answers ]

How do you hook up the wires in the back of the dryer, there are 4 wires and I need to know what color wire goes where.

View more questions Search