Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dvandam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2011, 12:58 PM
    How do I replace 3-wired porcelain light fixture with 2-wired light?
    I have two porcelain closet type light fixtures in upstairs dormers connected to one switch. I want to replace one fixture with a foyer style light that has black and white wires. Current porcelain fixture has two brass and two silver screws. Three cables come into box, two 14/2 & one 14/3. All 3 white wires connect together and have white pigtail wire connected to one silver screw. Other silver screw is empty. Two black wires connect together. Third black wire from 14/2 cable connects to one of the two bras screws. Red wire connects to other brass screw. Both the red wire and white wire connected to fixture have black tape on them indicating they are hot. How do I connect these cables to the two replacement fixture wires? Do I connect the red & black wires to the new black fixture wire and the two white wires together? Thanks!

Check out some similar questions!

How to change a ceiling fan that is wired separately with a single light fixture? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with a light fixture that is connected to 3 separate wall switches. 1 is for the fan to be turned on and off, and then the other 2 are at entry doorways for the light to be turned on and off, I am looking to replace the ceiling fan with a regular light fixture, how do I...

Hamton Bay outdoor light fixture... how to replace a dead light bulb. [ 0 Answers ]

I have to see if one of the glass panels slides up or down or left and right. It does not appear that the top or bottom is removable. Don't have instruction guide... don't know the model number

Can I wire a W/R transmitter to my wired light switch to use a remote as well? [ 13 Answers ]

I was using a wireless transmitter on my bedroom lights with a hampton bay wireless remote but a friend of mine hooked it up. There was no fan. I have a new house now and I would like to do the same. I have 6 recessed lights hooked up to a normal light switch in the wall. How can I make this work?...

Replace chain pull from light on light/fan fixture [ 2 Answers ]

I pulled the chain out of its housing that controls only the light on my kitchen light/fan fixture. I went to a hardware store and the clerk sold me a little fixture with three wires, pink, white and black. When I took my fixture apart, I found my fixture has a two wire little round thing where...

Wired ceiling light causes short [ 3 Answers ]

I recently bought a ceiling light from Home Depot and once I made all the connections, inserted light bulbs and then flipped the switch it caused the circuit breaker to trip. I don't know if I have somehow wired improperly but I did as the instructions told me (two whites from light to white from...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.