Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mel_belle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2011, 06:30 PM
    How do I lighten my hair or remove hair dye without damaging my hair?
    I had beautiful virgin hair, up until about 6 days ago. My girlfriend, who is a hairstylist dyed my hair. I picked out a warm chocolate brown color, and thought since my original hair color is auburn, with slight golden highlights, that this color would suit me. My hair came out Jet black, and my girlfriend who said she would fix the mistake has now bailed on me. I am so upset because my hair was so healthy and natural before, and I don't want to damage my hair, but the black looks terrible, I feel goth... I was considering dying over it, but I've heard too many horror stories and feel pretty frightened to do so. Does anybody know any safe ways that I could lighten my hair, or remove the hairdye? I'm not sure if color fix or hair oops works.. N I don't want my hair to turn orange! I also have no idea where I would buy the color remover stuff, since I'm not licensed to buy any of the haircare products.
    bamfdoll Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Jan 6, 2012, 11:41 PM
    First--and this is going to be hard to do--wait a few weeks to see if it lightens. The dye will fade over that time to the color it will be, probably 2-3 shades lighter than it is now, and you can judge if you like this final result or not. If you want to buy professional hair products, try a place like Sally's Beauty Supply, which sells professional products to the general public.

The safest and best way to fix bad dye jobs is to go to a good professional stylist, especially if you bring a photo reference of the color you want your hair to be! :)
    cherrybomber Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Jan 10, 2012, 02:39 PM
    You won't be able to 'dye over it' as you say, the only way to get out a permanent colour is to bleach it out and I would not recommend that! I agree with the previous answer - wait a while it will probably lighten on it's own, especially if you use a cheap and nasty shampoo which will strip colour faster. If you want even faster results use a washing up liquid like sunlight (for doing dishes). I know that sounds scary but it will strip your colour, just condition well afterwards! If there's no improvement after a few weeks you could investigate getting some highlights.
    PS: I'm surprised at your friend, with beautiful hair like you had, a semi permanent would have been the best choice to enhance colour.
    Good luck!
    kelsey1117 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2012, 01:29 PM
    I have died my hair a red auburn I haven't died my hair in a while my hair was really damaged is there a way to get the hair dye out can I just keep washing it and will it come out?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lighten my coloured hair without using more hair dye [ 2 Answers ]

I have coloured my hair at home. It is a very dark red how do I lighten my hair so the colour becomes lighter without having to colour my hair again. Is there any home products I could use ? I really do not want to use more hair dye on my hair x

How can I dye my hair red by taking out my black without damaging my hair? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I currently have black dyed hair, with bleached streaks, that were red and are now back to blonde. I really want to dye my hair all over bright red, but I don't want to bleach all my hair for fear of totally killing it, are there any cheats I can use to get my permanent black out without...

Lighten hair a few shades without damaging hair [ 7 Answers ]

My hair is a dark brown, but now realised I've gone to dark.How could I lighten my hair just 2 0r 3 shades lighter without ruining it. As I have bleach underneath.:confused:

How do I tone down or remove a semi permanent red hair dye over bleach blonde hair? [ 3 Answers ]

I am at my wits end! I had my hair professionally frosted about two months ago. I like the blonde, with my dark hair roots, but I wanted to add some red low lights with the blonde streaking throughout. However, I did not get the results I wanted. Now I have dark roots, and a multi blonde/red...

How to remove black hair dye from hair [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hi there I am natalie from the uk and wanted to know if there are any home remedies for removing, or really fading black hair dye from hair, I am naturally red and am about to go on holiday next week to the canaries, and did not want red regrowth, so I am wanting a quick and easy...

View more questions Search