Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2011, 09:01 AM
    Layaway Plans
    I often wondered the payments you make forwards Layaway,are they refundable.
    If you cannot make that final payment. Or does the store hold the merchandise for free
    Without any charge?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2011, 10:24 AM
    Depends on the store - my late husband worked for a large chain for a period. I could never believe it BUT the initial layaway deposit was NOT refundable and what WAS refundable depended on when the order was cancelled.

If it was (and I'm trying to remember) within 72 hours of Christmas it was NOT refundable.

I always thought it put people between a rock and a hard place.

I don't know what current policies are. Most of the stores in MY area no longer offer layaway, probably because of the problems - my husband used to call it a Wish List because so many were never picked up OR cancelled.

In his instance there WAS a layaway fee, based on a percentage of the value of the merchandise.

Interesting question - now I wonder what the legalities are. I do know the terms were spelled out in the layaway agreement the customer signed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 23, 2011, 10:28 AM
    It will depend on the store, most if they do refund never refund 100 percent, but in some cases you lose your money if you don't pick the item up.

The majority have a fee or a percent of the amount you paid that they get to keep.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for a computer online small down small payments no layaway [ 3 Answers ]

Since my credit has been tarnished by a divorce and internet fraud, I am wanting to get a computer, either desktop or laptop, no membership, small down payment, small monthly payments, no layaway. I am on disability, no checking account not much to offer except the fact that my income will allow me...

Business plans [ 1 Answers ]

I am a sales and marketing guy for the last 10years, now I want to start my own business with a small savings I have and this business I would like it to be in bangalore india.

What are your plans [ 26 Answers ]

She: what are your plans for this evening? Him: I plan to go to the store and pu one item. She: OK, I will talk to you later. Him: OK, talk to you later. Later... She: did you go to the store? Him: nope She: oh if I would have know that I would have invited you over for dinner. Him: why...

We had plans but not now [ 17 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have plans once a week every week. Or, go out together you know alone time. So, my girlfriend calls me. Said her girlfriend has two tickets to concert tonight on our date night. My girlfriend is invited and she wants to go so she tells me she is going and if I'm OK with that....

View more questions Search